trunk will not open

1976 MB 300D 4 door. Key will turn trunk button, hear a 'click' when trunk button is depressed, but trunk will not open. Is there a particular way of opening trunk that I am not getting? Would like to
hear what you guys have to say. Thanks!!

See http://tinyurl.com/36fm7j
DanlK www.collectibles.fyis.org

Got it, Thanks!

If you live in a snowly salys area this can happen especiallly this time of year.
Get some lock de-icer (which is just rubbing alcohol) or use rubbing alcohol and a syringe. Squirt some alcohol in there.
What you're trying to do here is wash out guck and salt.
Then, spray in some liquid graphite lubricant which is the MB recommended lubricant for this lock. USE NOTHING ELSE.
Especially avoid WD40 whcih will work but make a bigger mess next winter.
If you do this every falll it should never happen in winter again, but, that lock probably hasn't been lubricated in decades, right?
On Feb 22, 9:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Got it. Thanks!
Try turning it all the way... holding it that way and push down to unlock the trunk.
This is the way to try to open the trunk without locking and unlocking the car doors to open up the trunk. Otherwise, make sure the keyhold is in horizontal position... lock the driver door and then unlock driver door again and just push in the trunk button.

Got it. Thanks!

My car is a 1976 MB 240D.
If you insert the key into the lock of the trunk, depress the trunk button and turn the key clockwise, you'll hear a 'click' and nothing will happen.
If you insert the key into the lock of the trunk, turn the key COUNTER clockwise, and then depress the trunk button, you won't hear a click but the trunk will open up (well, it will usually open on the first try. The lock needs to be lubricated after 31 years).
Give it a shot.
ron

That's the problem. You need to insert the key... turn it all the way clockwise and then push down. If you do the above method, nothing happens but a click.

Actually, that doesn't work with my '76 MB 240D.
Only if I turn it counter clockwise, and push it in does it work. But, as I said in my original message, "the lock needs to be lubricated after 31 years" and maybe that's all the OPer (and I) need to do to get it to work when turning it clockwise. I just haven't bothered to do that since I've always turned it counter...
ron
Have you tried pulling up on trunk while doing it? Sometime trunk stay closed because of sticking seals...

Got it. Thanks!!

Got it. Thanks!

Got it. Thanks!

Got it. Thanks!