Tune-up for 1988 300SEL

Hello,

I'm planning on servicing my 300SEL at 170k miles. Do I need to do more than the spark plugs, air/fuel filters, and transmission service? thank you

Reply to
Hany Ahmed

This depends a lot on what services have been done in the past. If you have not had the car for the last 50-100k miles and/or have no reliable service records, here are some additional things often neglected or skipped over

- rotor, cap and plug wires (this engine will keep running even when these are nearly fried so they may be in bad shape)

- brake fluid flush (big bucks down the road if you skip this)

- coolant change (if you do this yourself, be sure to bleed off the air when refilling by removing the temp sensor)

- draining the torque converter when changing transmission filter

- differential fluid

- power steering fluid

All of these are straightforward with standard hand tools except brake fluid flush which requires a tool like eezi-bleed. Drain the torque converter while you have the plugs out because it is much easier to rotate the engine (to access drain plug).

Scott D

Reply to
Scott D