Turn signal and headlamp question (87 300SDL)

I have an electrical problem that I need a little guidance on solving. This in an '87 300SDL.

When the headlamps are turned on the bulb out lamp illuminates on the dash. I suspect a loose connexion rather than a bulb being out since repeated walking-arounds show no lights being out. The guy that I purchased the sedan from had replaced the original head lamp assemblies with "Euro-style" units which is why I'm suspicious of a loose connexion.

Last week, I was making a left hand turn with the turn signal engaged, headlamps on. The turn lamps both fore and aft now come on, but do not flash when the switch is engaged. This occurs only when the headlamps are operating or the parking lamps are selected. When the headlamps are not on, the turn signals operate normally.

So, the question is should I look at the relays for the headlamps or consider replacing the headlamp switch? After twenty years, I think that the switch may be a candidate for replacement.

TIA

Reply to
Kurt

The only time I've seen or heard of a swutch failing is when they burn up and release lots of smoke.

I'd be much more inclined to have a good and hard look at the wiring going to the headlights and trurn signals.

Pr>I have an electrical problem that I need a little guidance on solving.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

First, make sure the light lite up as it should be... then check all the bulbs... make sure they are all german bulbs except for the headlight. It is easy to tell as german bulbs have silver base while american one has brass.

This is number one reason for bulb out lite. The wattage is slightly off that triggers the bulb out lamp.

As far as blinking? I am not sure, I think maybe the flasher relay is bad.

Reply to
Tiger

snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote in news:evkc0f$2eb$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de:

Thanks, I think that it is wiring related. Switch suspicions are from the hi-beam not engaging all the time and that the indicator bulb (left side) and parking lights 'sticking' on when the headlamp switch is turned on.

Reply to
Kurt

"Tiger" wrote in news:sWrTh.31$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

Thanks, I'll lay in a supply of OEM bulbs later today and replace any that look suspicious. Will try the flasher relay too.

Reply to
Kurt

It seems very unlikely that the flasher relay went bad and that there are other problems with other components. That is it's very unusual that several components fall suddenly and simultaneously.

Verify with a volt/ohm meter that the wiring to eh headlights hasn't been botched first. It's a minor truism that the thing that was messed with last is invariably the problem.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote in news:evm22n$m1u$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de:

Thanks again, as you probably have seen my responses to the other suggestions, I'm first gonna have to find the voltmeter. As to the "minor trusim", methinks that it's one of Murphy's Axioms, yes? Therefore, valid and true and often a painfull experience.

Reply to
Kurt

I just bought a new one in walmart for $30. Even if I cuold find mine it would take hours to do so :-)

And it's a BIG IF.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote in news:evong5$len$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de:

I finally found mine in the last place I looked. It has a dead battery, Murphy again.

Reply to
Kurt

I knew that before you found it. It's the first law of automotive voltmetering.

Reply to
Richard Sexton