Tyre pressure monitors on two sets of tyres

Hi, my W211 MB has the tyre pressure monitor feature. Some time ago I had a new set of tyres changed to the car (changed from winter tyres to summer tyres). New sensors were installed on the new set of tyres. Now when the system is initialised according to the advice on the user manual, the car responds after a while ?Visit Workshop?.

The car did visit an official workshop but the local one really does not know too much of ?this complicated? features. They told their service tools indicating that the car should be driven 35 kilometres to get calibrated. However, after a few kilometres, the car computer again asks to visit workshop.

Would anybody be aware how a second set of tyres should really be installed on a car with RDC. Specifically, is the battery on the sensors connected ?off the self? or should something be done with the sensors before installation to the wheels (I?m thinking of an insulator that often disconnects the battery when the device is ?on the shelf?).

Is there a need to initialise the car computer to recognise a new set of sensors? If so, I assume the car can accept at least 8 sensors as it should be possible to change from winter tyres to summer tyres without a workshop visit. The sensors were installed by a tyre dealer, if they have an individual code that needs to be told to for the car computer, then I guess the tyres need to be uninstalled to find this information from each sensor (I never saw those sensors as my local, official workshop gave them directly to the tyre dealer?

I believe I either have to visit another workshop (I know one but I would need to drive an extra 100 km) or need to have some guidance from the news group for the local workshop, if there is an easy way to make them learn.

Thanks for any advice, a W211 CDI driver.

Reply to
Me

I believe I either have to visit another workshop (I know one but I would need to drive an extra 100 km) or need to have some guidance from the news group for the local workshop, if there is an easy way to make them learn.

Huh, what do the sensors look like and where are they installed? I am going to guess (this is completely without any info or experience), that the sensors were installed wrong when the tires where changed?

Cool feature though. Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Hi, haven't seen the sensors myself but the sensors are attached to the tyre valves, should look like this:

Technik, RDK. This one is not from W211 but the sensor should be very similar.

I'm afraid the sensors would need to be activated somehow, just a guess though.

OP

Reply to
Me

let me guess at this.

i bet the senders send a single if the see a difference in pressure.

so once you heat up the tires then you set the system and it sets them to read a difference in pressure not the actual pressure.

i could be way off base here ?

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Toyota apparently measures the r.p.m. difference between the tires and sends an alarm if the difference is constant. The wheel with less air rotates more. I don't know the result if the car runs 300 miles on Daytona.

Vlad

Reply to
Vlad

MB seems to use Beru equipment, the true tyre pressure can be measured for each tyre. The system should be "self learning" for the target tyer pressure and for new sensors:

I believe the original problem is known now (not solved until I get the correct parts and tyres uninstalled and reinstalled). I asked the guy who delivered the sensors to the tyre dealer if they were of the correct colour (US or Euro frequency), turned out "no colour at all", no electronic sensor at all, just the valve part!

The local official MB dealer delivered only the valves, even if they new the parts were for a new set tyres. Makes three stupid guys, the MB spare parts guy of course, the person installing the tyres (how come one would not recognise that something is missing if you look at the sensor construction, they have the screw that is supposed to hold the electronic unit and the valve and they don't realise anything missing) and the third one is myself because one should know that things should be looked after, especially if the issue is anything else than very standard parts that the MB dealer is familiar with.

OP

Reply to
Me