Under the dash loud click upon start

I have a 2001 C320 Sport. When I start the car after it has been stopped for a while (i.e., not EVERY time I start it), I get about four or five loud mechanical clicks coming from under the dash. I can put
my hands on the dash and feel the click from around the steering column/ignition switch. It stops after four of five clicks. I see no other probelms with any other functions. I haven't taken it in yet for service, but will soon and I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas of what it might be.
Thanks.
Standard C class footwell flap linkage breakage. About an 8 hour repair. I hope you still have factory warranty.....

Can you shed some light on what the "footwell flap linkage" is and does? What is it trying to do as it makes its clicking noise?
Karl wrote:

repair.
Early cars used vacuum elements to open and close the heater box doors. The C class uses stepper motors to open and close the doors [and the ML also]. The stepper motors are electric motors that rotate a gear drive to move the doors. Depending on whether you have the tempmatic or automatic system, determines the amout of stepper motors. If I remember right; tempmatic [manual blower speed] has 7 and automatic [blower speed] has 11. When the gear drive breaks, the motor is moving it but it just clicks. The biggest failure flap is the left footwell flap, just above and to the right of the gas pedal. Both systems have the left footwell motor. The automatic system has a right side one also. The repair involves a gear drive repair kit and removing the dash. 8 - 8.5 hour job.