Unimog fans look here...

Page 1 of 3
Is the International CXT an alternative to Unimog? Or is it too ridiculous?
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22750-1762174_1,00.html
DAS

Super size me By Jay Leno International CXT
Daniel Byrne
I'm not really a pick-up truck kind of guy. But I guess however many million owners in the States can't all be wrong. So I thought I would give them a go. There's nothing particularly sophisticated about these vehicles. They are meant to go 300,000 miles with no more than rudimentary maintenance. In the Midwest, where you find most of them, there are no corners to go around so you don't need independent suspension to aid handling and you're not really planning on stopping, so the brakes you've got are probably okay.
In short they're big, dependable, unbreakable Tonka toys. You could hit these things all day with a hammer and I don't think you could screw them up.
In the US the pick-up has come to symbolise the American spirit of adventure. I remember the early adverts used to show six horses, a guy and his truck; then about 10 years ago it was two horses, a guy and his truck. Now it's just one horse in the background, a guy and his truck. The trucks have taken over from the cowboy and his horse in personifying the old values of rugged reliability and frontier adventure.
Of course today big trucks are everywhere in America. The whole SUV thing started because the US government, about 15 years ago, put a tax on luxury automobiles. Anything above $30,000 paid a luxury tax, but trucks were exempt. So America, being an enterprising country, said: "Why don't we just make a luxury truck?" They started making trucks with heated seats, surround sound and fancy wood finishes. You could get the luxury car for $40,000 or you could get the truck with the same amenities for about $34,000. It was simple: get the truck.
The International CXT is the ultimate evolution of this. There is no bigger pick-up truck in the world. It's huge. It weighs 14,500lb empty. It's so big it doesn't fit in any known garage. In fact, when I drove it home it didn't even fit in my driveway. So I decided to park it at my mother-in-law's house down the street.
As I pulled into her driveway I said to myself: "Oh look, there's a ball on the roof of her house." Then I thought: "I've never seen that ball up there." In fact I've never seen her roof before. The CXT's cab height is 9ft. The bed height - the flat rear section - is nearly 5ft, making it virtually impossible to load anything heavy on your own, and the whole truck is over 21ft long.
When you are sitting 9ft off the ground, with a huge steering wheel in front of you, no matter how ridiculous you may think it is you just can't help but have a huge smile on your face
Jay Leno
It's just ridiculous. It doesn't make any sense at all. In fact it reaches new levels of impracticality, which of course is what makes it so much fun. I don't know where you would go in it. I don't know what you would haul in it. I don't even know what sort of people you could drive in it while keeping a straight face. But that's the beauty of it: when you are sitting 9ft off the ground, with a huge steering wheel in front of you, no matter how ridiculous you may think it is you just can't help but have a huge smile on your face.
And it has all the proper truck extras, too. It has that metal thing you have to have on the top of the vertical exhaust pipe that opens and closes as the exhaust smoke pumps out, and goes clang, clang, clang, clang. You gotta have that. It has that big pshshshshshsh sound with the brakes, too.
It actually handles pretty good. There's a lot of play and there's a lot of movement in everything. It's very honest and it's somewhat reassuring. It's also pretty manoeuvrable. I even managed to spin it. I was going down the road in the pouring rain, there was nobody around, so I hit the brakes, turned the wheel and pulled off a perfect 180-degree spin; turned it right around and went back the other way. So in my book that makes it really controllable, even in bad weather.
At the time I was driving it we had just had some pretty bad flooding in LA. Nothing like the New Orleans nightmare but cars were literally submerged. One time I went through a particularly bad patch where I could see just the roof of a Honda Accord from my cab - or maybe it was an Acura - and the water wasn't even up to the tops of my tyres.
The International people told me the CXT is based on a 20-ton hauler platform they use for "severe service" trucks, like snowploughs. It's got four-wheel drive and an Allison 2500 HS five-speed automatic. Put that all together and it means this thing'll go just about anywhere.
But at a cost. The base price is $90,000, and you can option it up to $115,000 with individual leather multiposition front seats, a rear-view camera and a 10Εin drop-down rear DVD screen. Then there's the fancy stuff like walnut wood trim and a custom Alpine XM satellite radio. I think it will pick up stuff other than country and western, but I wouldn't advise it! I think it comes from the manufacturer tuned that way. Most vehicles have cupholders that carry 8-12oz cups. The CXT has a cupholder that will take a 44oz Super Big Gulp bucket of drink you can get from convenience stores. That's bigger than your bladder.
There are advantages to having a truck like this. Like pulling up alongside beautiful women in convertibles. You get that cleavage shot that you can't get in a normal pick-up. But the CXT is not just a ticket to play at being trucker. Driving it you really are a trucker. I filled it up at a station that has two separate pumping areas. The regular diesel pump is next to the petrol pump for cars. Then off to the side is another pump marked "Truckers Only". When I pulled up to that one the guys in the 18-wheelers came over and gave me the thumbs up and the old nod, like, "Bear in the air, breaker-breaker, 10-4, good buddy." You also get to eat in the truck-stop restaurant. You pull in with this rig and you just know the waitress is gonna slip you some extra hash browns.
Mind you, that's all we need. Americans are getting more and more fat-assed. I mentioned on my show recently that the big thing when they remodel American homes these days is to put a small kitchen in the master bedroom. What is the reason behind that? Walking, at least from the bedroom to the kitchen, was the most exercise most Americans ever got. Now you just sit in bed and reach over and eat.
MORE FROM JAY LENO
It's the supercar you can fix with a hammer
Son of a gun: that Mustang spirit reborn
Bentley, you're back!
Look Dad, I've got a cool Cadillac too
You could put a small kitchen in the back of the CXT. Heck, you could put a large kitchen in the back. That compartment is really as big as some one-bedroom apartments. It's one of the few vehicles I've had which, when I take people out in it, I have to look around the entire truck to see if there are people in seats I've missed. I took some friends to lunch and I'm going, "Where's John?" "Over here!" "Oh jeez, in that little corner down there." It's that big inside.
It's a car that really doesn't fit anywhere other than Texas. It pulls into town and makes all the right noises and people kind of gravitate over to it. "Wutcha cawl that thing?" When I think of Britain I think of Minis and this is what you think of when you think of Texas. Everything's bigger in Texas. My dream would be to take this truck to England and drive around the Cotswolds and stop the most English-looking person and say: "Excuse me, we're Americans. Is there a McDonald's near here?" If you parked this on the street and asked someone who knew nothing about it where it was from they would say America. I mean, you know it's American.
But I think the CXT is the end of the road as far as pick-ups go. Other than something with 18 wheels, I don't know how you get any bigger. I haven't met an owner yet, but knowing Texans that's only a matter of time.
VITAL STATISTICS
Model International CXT Engine 7600cc, six cylinders Power 220bhp @ 2200rpm Torque 540 lb ft @ 1400rpm Transmission Five-speed automatic Fuel 8-10mpg (combined cycle) CO2 N/A Acceleration 0-60mph: N/A Top speed 70mph Price $90,000 Verdict One big truck Rating 5/5
βœ–
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Jay Leno does London Times automotive reviews?
I wonder what his motivation is?
The Pick Up looks like fun but I prefer van bodies because you can take more supplies.
.
Add pictures here
βœ–
The publication is the Driving supplement of the Sunday Times, so it isn't in a daily paper. They get all kinds of people to review cars. Jeremy Clarkson has got a bad back and is not allowed to drive...I don't know how he is doing reviews, but he is away at the moment anyway.
For example, model Jodie Kidd. Turned out she was training to be a racing driver and participates in car meets. http://www.fashiongates.com/magazine/jodie-kidd-08-12-04.html
And look at the cute kid they get to write about macho motorbikes: http://www.tonyclayman.com/jane.htm http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,20629,00.html
The Sunday Times is the UK's best-selling 'quality' Sunday paper by a long chalk.
DAS
"greek_philosophizer" <greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
βœ–
If this beast is taken into the mud it would probably bury itself......The Unimog still wins as an all terrain vehicle.. Peter

Add pictures here
βœ–
This is one of the reasons the Unimog would sell well as an SUV. I think they were going to do that until certain elements complained about the extravagance. Put a big CDI in it and everybody would be happy.
.
Add pictures here
βœ–
The International CXT is to the Unimog as Arnold Schwarzenegger is to an Olympic gymnast. Schwarzenegger has strength but an Olympic gymnast has strength and agility.
No comparison.
cp

Add pictures here
βœ–

NACK. If you take both cars into heavy off road terrain, you will find that the Unimog is a high mobility all terrain vehicle, while this ridiculous pile of iron is just a truck with a pickup bed.
And if you are a guy who can be impressed by a CXT, I'd suggest a ride in a MAN LX 2000 (a.k.a. MAN Kat. 1). We are talking about an 8x8 chassis with independend wheel suspension on all wheels, a turbocharged 12,6 litre diesel engine with up to 430 hp and a 16 speed gearbox with hydraulic torqe converter. Back in the late 70's and early 80's US Army decided to choose this vehicle over the Oskosh, when they needed a firm base for the mobile launchpad for the pershing medium range nuclear missiles;-)
If you just do not know where you have left your pershing, you can also use the MAN Kat. 1 as a nice mobil home:
http://www.berlin-breslau.de/event/images/Im000078.jpg
I once drove such a beast during a MAN all terrain vehicle demonstration. I will never ever forget that.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
βœ–

That's exactly what I meant, I guess my analogy was clear as mud :-)

Now that's a REAL MAN's truck!
I want a MAN!!
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you are a skilled DIY mechanic, they are not too far out of reach. German Army sells them for some 12.000 dollars or so.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
βœ–

Yes, but it has to be 15 years old in order import into Canada, maybe if I bought it in pieces....
Can I just walk up to the Wehrmacht/Bundeswehr and ask for a MAN? Maybe take one for a test drive?
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–

Been absent during history lessons in school? Wehrmacht was before 1945;-)
German Federal Armed Forces (a. k. a. Bundeswehr, abbrev. BW) sort out the parts of its equipment which are suitable for selling (i.e. no weapons or classified technology) and transfer them to a company called Vebeg. Vebeg is a federal agency, which sells all sorts of federal equipment, wholesale or retail. They also have a web site (wwww.vebeg.de), which includes an english version.
Dealing with Vebeg isn't very comfortable. You have to send an offer for the item you want to buy and wait, until they tell you wether you have succeded. There are dealers who have focussed on used military trucks, try this link: www.padh.de
Unfortunately I have estimated the price for an used MAN Kat.1 truck wrong. The smallest version (4x4, 5 tons payload) start at 15.000 Euros. And if you decide to buy a big 8x8, be prepared that you might need a clearance from the german foreign trade authorities to export this piece of military technology. But you also can buy them directly from MAN, new of course;-)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
βœ–
Hi Frank,

Same thing!! :-) I'm Polish, I said that on purpose! :-))))
As for the history they teach us in Canada, it's that Canada won WWII :-)
Thanks for the links, my father is in Germany buying some diesels benzes, maybe I'll send the links to him, though I doubt I'll find a MAN LX 200 under the Christmas tree this year :-)
You know of any other site with pics of the 8x8 MAN? I looked on google but no luck of anything interesting
Thank you again!
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–

results. Try "MAN Kat.1 " or "MAN GL 5to", "MAN GL 7,5to" or "MAN GL 10to" instead.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
βœ–
Frank Kemper wrote:

realistic engine sounds to boot! Wish I could read German though.
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://babelfish.altavista.com
ahhhhhhhhhh I wish I was thinking and dreaming in German again :-)
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–
cp wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeh, though I heard it might be removed soon, I hope not!
Add pictures here
βœ–
okedoke thank you!

Add pictures here
βœ–
This one looks like the best site
http://www.beepworld.de/members18/saschawolf/man-mil-gl-baureihe.htm
haute in die Tasten:

Add pictures here
βœ–
It goes at a max of 90 km/h.
But it's probably a bit like the tortoise and the hare. The tortoise just keeps going and wins the race. The MAN keeps going over any hindrances with its 4x4 even though it has only 320 PS.
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message
βœ–