unlocking CL500

Anyone know how to unlock a CL500 when the original electronic key won't do the trick? I think the battery is close enough to dead that the electronic door locks won't function. The mechanical key won't turn the
locks either. All the while the alarm is making a chattering sound. If I could unlock the thing I could get the charger on the battery and everything would be fine... Dale (not Camille)
place jumper cable ground to ground
place the other from hot <good car or charger> to REMOVED starter cable ON DEAD CAR
REMOVE CABLE FROM STARTER FIRST & CONNECT TO CABLE ONLY. you can also use charger to charge batt
put cotton in your ears as your alarm may start screaming
this works on some cars
case
Great suggestion... However, you don't really have to disconnect the cable to the starter... starter won't turn unless the selenoid is also powered.
OOPS Tiger your just good !
the case, minus a few cans!
Thanks everybody for your input. The design for this system is for the mechanical key to open the trunk when the battery is dead. That way it's possible to access the battery. However, it seems the mechanical key we got with this car (from Fletcher Jones-Chicago)is the wrong one so it will not operate the door or the trunk. The spare electronic/mechanical key combo we bought for the car (because Fletcher Jones would not supply a second key) is locked up inside the car. Right next to the owners manual. Alas!
I was able to pop the hood from the outside (not an easy task on a CL500) in the hope that there is a jumping lug in the engine compartment on this model (my nearest dealer says some cars have them, some don't). This car does not have a jumping lug in the engine compartment...
But I was able to order another mechanical key from my local dealer and hopefully that will let me access the trunk so I can charge/change the battery.
As a sidebar; Every MB I've owned has drained the battery over a relatively short period of time when the car was not driven regularly. Why is that? Even our fairly primitive (by today's standards) 1988 560SL will drain the battery in six or eight weeks of inactivity.
Note to everyone with an electronic key: Check your mechanical key to be sure it will open the trunk in case the battery goes dead with the car locked. Just because the key came from the dealer does not mean it will work in your car. Thanks again everyone.
P.S. On a happier note... That High Pressure ABC hose that was finally replaced last week after six months of negotiating with MB and the local dealer (thanks to Mr. Frank Parente of MB Customer Service who stepped in and made it happen) seems to have solved the mysterious fluid leak.
And yes Tiger, you are just good. We all appreciate you! Dale
pool man wrote:

Thanks Dale... There is another way to hook up postiive battery cable to the car even though you don't have a positive jack on your car (I find it hard to believe... check your manual... er... locked in the car eh?)
The hook up is at the alternator... that thick cable on the alternator. You don't need a battery cable to hook it up... but I suggest a thick wire with alligator clip. and then attach it to your battery jumper cable. Ground is any metal surface... engine block, a nut for shock tower...
One safety note... protect the positive jumper cable from coming in contact with your car... have your wife hold it or secure it by wrapping it with your towel or something.
It is enough to get your door to work.
FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /