[Update] Marvel Mystery oil and fuel economy

I filled up this morning. Calculated mileage rose to 26.05mpg. I changed out the primary and secondary fuel filters about a week ago. This next tank will be the one that has the new filters exclusively. Also have changed out the air filter, so the beast breaths a little freer now. Tire pressure checked this morning as added measure of reducing varibles.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

Ah but in fact you have several variables. new fuel filters and air filter. So how do you know which one might be the reason for increased mpg if you in fact see an increase?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hoffman

And then there's the - not so unlikely - effect of this whole experiment on the brain that controls your right foot...

Let's make it a double blind test. We prepare 12 anonymous cannisters of oil, 6 with product X and 6 with product Y. Another person changes your oil monthly and seals the filling cap. You record the usage meticulously. After twelve months we unvail the cannister content, pump the data into SPSS and see if there's a correlation with the oil type.

Too complicated I guess ;)

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Guys... it is not just about filter and air filter... we know from our past experience that changing these two accounts for some change... but not in such a dramatic change.

On my car, everything was running for a year before I started trying out MMO... On this MMO full tank plus Startron at half tank... I have driven 446 miles and I still have over 1/4 tank left... more like 5/16 tank left. My tank is 23 gallons total and 3 gallons reserve. My driving is strictly local driving. My town is pretty hilly.

As I drive, I am not trying to minipulate... by accelerating as slow as possible or anything like that. I do however coast as much as I can... but not rediculously either. For example, I see red light ahead and I am driving

45 MPH... I would coast for 1/2 mile into the intersection... there is no point to keep foot on gas until light and then slam on brake.

My average MPG around town for 2 years is 25 or 26 MPG... below my 27/35 EPA rating. When I first got it, I was getting 30MPG average but didn't last for some reason... I think Algae is a huge reason on my car even though the 2 fuel filters shows zero black algae or black anything at all.

Now I am getting over 32MPG around town when I usually get 25 or 26. I get

29 MPG when I spend $9 on diesel fuel injection cleaner two separate time but then drops back to 25 when tank is finished.
Reply to
Tiger

Hey Tiger, I am getting about 5 mpg more with my 240D now.,. and the

300SD actually "chirped" its meaty 195.70/14s the other day! Thanks for the idea. Rob
Reply to
robrjt

Absolutely! We don't know if it is working by design, or working by accident.

"The least questioned assumptions are often the most questionable?

-Paul Broca

Reply to
me

Occam's razor perhaps? There have now been two tanks of MMO treated fuel run thru the system. One with old filters, one with old filters for about half the tank. Now I have new filters, primary and secondary installed with a fresh tankful of adulterated fuel.

Overall I tend to be a relatively sedate driver. The noticed increased "pep" in the response to the depression of the foot feed pedal may well play a role in the fuel consumption. But I don't tend to "jackrabbit" off from full stops and generally cruise at 55-58mph on the roadways that I most often travel.

Yep. You gonna set this up as ANOVA or are we gonna just use Chi-Square? Multiple trials in multiple locations with multiple drivers?

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser
[...]

[...]

I'll pick up some Starton over the weekend. I can get it locally (within

25 mi radius) just don't often go in that direction.

I have noted, anecdotally, that the idle sounds made my the SDL seem to be less sharply pitched knocking.

I'm all for being a techical geek, but this is not exactly rocket science. The results thus far are encouraging, but not definetive by any means. Running a cleaner fuel system can not do anything but help. And it surely has added to my motoring enjoyment!

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

Tiger, what car is this with such a large tank? My 300D only has about a 14 gallon tank in it.

Concerning fuel filters, when is the best time to change them. The repair manual recommends once a year, but that seems a little long to me. Is there a consensus on the interval to change this. I am referring to the main spin-on fuel filter in the engine compartment, not the pre-filter at the tank.

Reply to
DougS

Altitude, don't forget altitude

Reply to
me

My car is a 1995 E300D... yes, it got a monster tank. It is practically the same tank as my old 380SE... about 24 gallon total with reserve.

Reply to
Tiger

And my '87 300SDL has a 25 gallon tank. Gulp.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

Altitude or attitude? Both may play roles.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

There is a WVO kit out there that adds another 20 gallons tank to the car... for a total of 44 gallons! Unthinkable...

Reply to
Tiger

What amount of MMO do you add, or what is the ratio? Thanks, Steve (79 240D, 82 300TD)

Reply to
runbiodiesel
[...]

It works out to 4 ounces per 10 gallons of fuel.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

I've seen that kit's specs. The down side (to me) is the upfront expense. SWMBO would have a serious objection.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

I am pretty certain that the 123's tanks are ~18 gallons, both in the

300D and the 300TD.

I'm getting around 20mpg on recycled vegetable oil, but probably going to put another tank of diesel in soon 'cause I'm using it (the veggie oil) a bit faster than I can collect it.

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket