upgading to newer benz

I've decided to upgade from my 95 c class to something fancier, and pehaps newer. While the 2001 and up c class has been thoroughly trashed, they are cheap as used cars so that is one model under
consideration (c320 sedan and wagon). Likewise the previous e class (98-2002 e320 and 320 4 matic sedan) seem to be good values as well. I love the 1994-5 w124, but there aren't many left that dont require lots of work to bing them back. Any toughts? particularly on the 4 matic variants of these models?
Cars turn up every week. Take your time and find the one you want. A retiree, a widow, someone who didn't drive much. Be patient, this is optional.
I think the reason many of the late model MBs are "good values" is because many buyers are aftraid to purchase one of these cars after they are out of warranty. It is no secret that MB quality has suffered ever since the 126's went out of production. The failing AC evaporators, wiring harnesses, computer malfunctions, etc are extremely costly repairs. Several of my friends bought newer MBs, (2000 tthru 2004) and now that some are out of warranty they complain that every time they have to take the car in for something 'minor' it ends up costing them $1800 or more. Things like the key not starting the car because something in the anti-theft system is not working correctly, automatic door/trunk closers that fail, and the list goes on. As far as the 4-matic, why would you even want this feature? The regular drive trains work fine...and when 4-matic needs repairs you better bring your really large wallet!!!

Very true. What I really want is a 94-95 e320. So I will take my time and look for one that has received good care. As for the costly repairs I've spent 5K just keeping my cosmetically excellent C class going (1500 wiring harness, 1100 uniwiper rebuild, 2400 head gasket). So been there, done that. But I understand the the later w124s are subject to the same problems....