[SOLVED] Upper radiator hose collapse--- Overheating E420

I pressure cleaned rad from inside to out a few days ago. The cheapy rad cap I bought from Azone had a slow leak (released pressure at 20 psi but would fall back to 17/18 psi and slowly leaked) so I found a MB dealer with MB one for 15 bucks and exchanged it (it held pressure at 20 psi). Put MB rad cap in and car tested and took longer to get hot no red line but close only at stop and go driving (high speed it was just above 100c mark). Radiator was too cool in center for as hot as car got... It's all pointing to water pump or radiator... not sure how to check water pump???? without removing it... Is there a way to inspect impeller without removing it??? Maybe removing thermostat or upper hose and using a dental mirror???

Thanks, Derf

Reply to
Derf-E420-94

Mmm... if the radiator tubes are clogged there cold be a much hotter and cooler side of the radiator. I mean: if fluid flows correctly, the two hoses will have a different temperature, but not that BIG difference. While, if the pump is involved, the fluid will flow slowly thus resulting in a quite uniform temperature (hot!) in radiator and hoses from/to engine. Is it this a thought that might help you to find a correct procedure to find out if the problem is a clogged radiator or a weak water pump? I hope so... I can tell you that old mechs used to touch radiator and hoses to correctly diagnose the problem...

Reply to
Cordy

Well, a new revelation happened today. While checking thermostat after draining fluid and later refilling when I started car I heard a rattling sound coming from water pump area (somewhat loud) that eventually disappeared when fluid finally circulated. I'm 90% sure it's a defective water pump now and not a clogged radiator or bad thermostat. I guess without fluid the impeller/bearing had a chance to freewheel. I ordered a new pump and belt (belt looked ready for replacement).... It makes sense that the radiator wasn't getting full flow to push through all of the veins (area around the main fan was coolest).... the saga continues, but I'm going to nail down this snafu, even to my grave (MB hearst at funeral)... The learning curve is flattening...........whew! ...... stay tuned, Derf doesn't give up....

For those who like tofu, i saw this license plate I thought was real cool.... it read... "ILVTOFU"...... funny, I think it was on Bernie Madoff's car...

Reply to
Derf-E420-94

I think that you miss-read that, shouldn't it be 'I Love To F*** You'

Richard

Reply to
Richard Cole

| wrote: | | >For those who like tofu, i saw this license plate I thought was real | >cool.... it read... "ILVTOFU"...... funny, I think it was on Bernie | >Madoff's car... | >

| I think that you miss-read that, shouldn't it be 'I Love To F*** You' | | Richard | --

There was a news article a couple of days ago about a woman who was a vegetarian and loved to eat tofu. She wanted a license plate that reflected her adoration for tofo and asked for a personalized plate: ILVTOFU and was refused on exactly the grounds you stated above... that some might misunderstand the intended message.

Here's a link to a web site that validate's my statement above:

And another - at a vegetarian site - with video of the woman that made the request:
And we wonder how internet rumors get started???

Reply to
Steve

I suspect that in Madoffs' case my interpretation was correct.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Cole

Good for you, I hope you didn't order a rebuilt water-pump, sellers always lie to you about their parts meeting oem spec. I went through Schuck's inventory, they have terrible frictions on all their water-pumps. Be sure you can turn the water-punmp's rotor up to 18 turns. 3 turns is not acceptible. At Optimum Fuel Systems, we find problems like this for people, people who don't understand us call us "snake oil", if you can eliminate all the frictions in your vehicle, it'll be like a hybrid. If you don't believe this, please bring your vehicle to Seattle and compare with ours.

Reply to
GasSaver

I didn't understand that, so I'll ask the stupid question. Do you mean turning the water pump internals before fitting it to the car? Don't they just rotate freely? What is there that limits the number of turns?

Reply to
Duncan McNiven

You're not the only one that didn't understand it. I've never seen a water pump that you couldn't turn as many times as you want to.

Reply to
trader4

I knew some smart people would want some more details. You have to spin the rotor with full force to simulate some engine force, see the video on the front page

(it really should be called
based on our achievement). Like I said before, we want to assure you that there is no snake oil involvement in our works, so we decided to tell you 1-secret. There are 7 friction spots in your vehicle. Honda and Toyota know the secrets as well.

Reply to
GasSaver

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:36:38 -0700, "GasSaver"

Gee thanks.

I never expected a BEARING would actually have FRICTION that would require a FORCE to overcome it. You guys have discovered a really important principle. I'm really impressed.

If only everyone could discover this SECRET we'd all be rich!

(If you really had any useful knowledge whatsoever you'd post it here instead of hiding behind your dipshit web site.)

Reply to
Happy Trails

Yes it had FRICTION that normal mechanic wouldn't know how to detect it, it depends on who rebuilt it. Mercedes-Benz doing a good job originally. With the bad one you lose 10 horse power.

be Rich? It's too late now, America is broke. Avoid buying a rebuilt water-pump, because if you come to my shop, I hate to see your unhappy face, you would think I'm after your money, I want to help sometimes for free. Sorry for our terrible website, you want to help me back now? Why don't you correct my poor English? You know I learned technology 20 years ahead of my English, I speak too many languages, I'm almost out of memory.

Good luck.

Reply to
GasSaver

If GM or FORD hired us long time ago to lead their research & development, they won't be broke today. The Japanese is winning. I've tried to inform OBAMA early this year, and I haven't got a response yet. He should look at our technologies, I intended to save America 1/2 $Trillion/year on foreign oil. We will give our ideas away for a nominal fee if the government is supporting us because we need to recapture our r&d investment.

GasSaver.

Reply to
GasSaver

LOL, Anybody with any grounding in science, engineering or basic knowledge picked up working with power equipment over the years knows how silly this statement is. 10hp would be a staggering amount of power for a small auto water pump bearing to consume in friction. In fact, I would suspect it would generate so much heat that it would fail within a short time. It's further laughable that the major auto manufacturers, who have been desperate to up fuel economy for decades, would not have long ago spec'd better bearings if any meaningful increase in fuel economy could be achieved that way.

Reply to
trader4

LOL. Why do you need the govt to support you? If your ideas are indeed valid, you should have no problem obtaining lots of private equity. In fact, if what you claim is anywhere near true, you should be talking to a patent attorney and well on your way to being very rich. So, why are you here instead, bsing around, and trying to find customers?

Reply to
trader4

FINAL UPDATE: Replaced radiator, car runs cooler now than when I first owned it. Temp now hovers around 80c at all speeds. Aux fans haven't had to come on.

BIG CLUE: Radiator was cold to touch in center even after high temp operation.

2nd CLUE: Old radiator weighed considerably more than new one after drained and removed (get shipping weight of new radiator to compare with old one) 3rd CLUE: After hot operation (rumbling upper radiator hose) and eventual cool down, upper radiator hose collapse. 4th CLUE: Car ran normal temp for about 15-20 min before getting very hot (I guess when thermostat opened up)

I hope this helps someone and thanks to all that posted responses.

Aloha, Derf

Reply to
Derf-E420-94

Glad the radiator resolved your problem. Older radiator always weighs more than new one.

Reply to
Tiger