Used E500 - Good idea or Bad?

All, I've been a BMW 540i owner for 5 years and have loved my car. It's got too many miles now so I'm considering crossing over and trying MB with a used 2003 E500. Can any share some insight into this car's
reliability? Do they start breaking down after a certain mileage? If so, what goes wrong and what are some examples of repair costs?
Any other comments about a 2003 E500 would be greatly appreciated. :>
mark
Mark,
First question is, do you like how the MB drives?
It <ahem> behaves differently </ahem> from a BMW. ;-)
http://www.kenrockwell.com/mbz/2003-e500.htm
Regards, WS
Of course the E500 engine is less common, and more complex, so...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ahem.. I don't think the squeaking rubber is common to all Mercs.
Mine doesn't have it, and it has more reason to make random noises (it's a rag-top convertible).
DAS
E500 is an excllent vehicle. It comes standard with a V-8 Engine, AirMatic Air Suspension and 17" 5 spoke alloy wheels. It runs great as well. I personally think the ride is better than the BMW 5 series. It shouldnt have problems if you keep it well mantained.