Used SLK Purchase Advise?

My mother has told me she is considering purchasing a used SLK to have as a fun second car. Besides the normal things one checks when buying a used car, I would appreciate any hints/tips/advice for things I should look for specific to the SLK when buying one used. I think her budget means she will be looking at a 99-01 range 230 SLK. I am somewhat familiar with the 230K engine since we have a 99 c230K. The thing that concerns me the most the retractable roof system and its long-term reliability. Is there anything to notice in particular when inspecting this?

While this will not be the main driving car, how bad are they to drive in the snow? Are they decent in the rain?

Are these cars pretty reliable after the "new car gremlins" are worked out? I am doing lots of research on the net but I would appreciate hearing from long-term owners who can share their experiences.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Doug

Reply to
East Earthlink

A Mercedes dealer might be able to offer some advice on specific things to check on an SLK, but here's my experience with a '99 SLK, sport model:

A couple of years ago, the top was almost up when it stopped, and I had to lower it again before it would go up completely. I took it in the next day, and they found nothing wrong.

It had happened while I was raising the top in the garage of the apartment building where I live, and at the same time talking to the attendant on duty at that time, who had never seen the top move before. I may have been distracted enough that my thumb eased up for a second, causing the top to stop moving. It hasn't happened since (I focus on keeping my thumb pressed against that button).

Because I live in Chicago, where they plow the streets when it snows, I don't have much experience driving on snow, but I can tell you that the winter drive setting, the traction control, and the low gears helped get me out of a spot when I was stuck in some snow in an unplowed alley. If you normally put snow tires on your car during the winter, I suppose you'd have to buy tires in two different sizes, because on the SLK the rear tires are wider than the front tires.

Driving in the rain? No problem. (Neither is driving in the winter; the cabin warms up quickly, and I have heated seats besides.)

Reply to
John Cisarik

I don't think you can do that with snow tire... My experience (I grew up in Buffalo NY) is that with snow tires, you need to use the same size on all 4 wheels or you have problems...

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Check the paint and metal under the battery, 9 out of 10 of used slk have peeled paint and rust at that spot.

Cheers Keith E14 4NS

Reply to
admin