v class identification in the uk

Hi,

Recently hired an 8 seater vito for a holiday in cornwall.

I was surprised as I thought they were all badged as viano these days.

So, could someone explain the naming system in the uk? What is the difference between an 8 seater vito and the viano?

thanks

Reply to
keith Barret

Viano has windows for passengers.

Vito doesn't (commercial van),

How was it for you? The driving experience, that is...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Interesting, this one had the windows but still badged vito.

It was quite impressive, the 6 speed box was nice on the motorways went about 900 miles on two tanks of diesel. Could have done with a bit more power on the hills but was loaded with people and luggage and was the

109 version. I think there is another version with a bit more power?

Lots of room though and I would consider buying one but perhaps not the basic version.

Reply to
keith Barret

It's fundamentally the same vehicle, one bought through a commercial dealer the other bought through a car dealer.

The Vito with seats and windows is called a traveliner and can be ordered to basically the same spec as the viano. Although the viano will come with more carpets and niceties, the vito will have hard flooring (washable and far more practical for a minibus etc)

The Vito variant has far bigger mirrors, which you get used to very quickly.

I bought a vito for my business, a compact 115cdi van Automatic 2005.

It's the nicest van I've ever driven, but the electrics are troublesome, the front suspension needed a major overhaul at 9000 miles of light use and lots of trim bits are somewhat fragile for a commercial vehicle.

If you want one the 109 is underpowedered as you found, personally I think the 115 is over powered, in so much as all the power comes in lump and is rained in by the traction control, so after having owned one for 18 months my choice would be the 111cdi. Powerfold mirrors are an absolute must, and I strongly recommend the auto gearbox.

I think the Viano comes with the same spec engine as the 115cdi (denoting

150hp - the 109 is 90hp with the 111 in at 110hp)

Nice vehicle, but get a new one or at least in warranty, it' will make a very expensive used vehicle when out of warranty.

Alan M

Marble & Limestone Importers

Alan Mudd

Isn't the Viano a newer model (for non-commercial use)?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

It's basically the same vehicle just different badges and different interior spec. The vito being mor utilitarian than the Viano, but other than that there's no real obvious difference.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Isn't the Viano a smaller vehicle?

David

Reply to
David

No, you're probably thinking of the Vaneo, which looks like an A class with disabled access conversion.

I'm not a fan, can you tell? :-)

Reply to
Alan Mudd