Vexed Rear Window Defroster

In an earlier post, I expressed frustration in not being able to get my rear window defroster to work. A kind member of the group pointed out that in all likelihood, this was due to an 80A strip fuse located
in the engine compartment on top of the port wheel well.
The problem is, I cannot find the strip fuse. It is not anywhere mounted near the wheel well, and replacing the 16 amp fuse for the rear window defogger in the fuse box did no good, as the fuse was not blown.
Can any one suggest where there may be another location for a "strip fuse" or, alternatively, other reasons why the rear window defogger does not work?
Many thanks in advance...
Does the light go on in the switch when you press it on?

Hey Karl.
My wife's '82 300sd defroster doesn't work, but the light does go on when I flip the switch on. What does that tell you? Thanks for your help.
63lincoln

Yes, the switch light does come on--I neglected to mention that.