vibratiion in the driveline

87 420SEL, 220K miles. In accelerating I feel and hear a vibration that is coming from the driveline. If I accelerate hard it is intensified but it minimizes at higher speeds (80mph +). I had the tranny mount replaced and
the two flex disks are fine also per the shop as is the carrier bearing, but it remains. It does not affect performance but is a real annoyance. Someone suggested that my driveshaft is out of balance.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Dave Phoenix, Az, USA
sounds exactly like the driveshaft is out of balance. get it looked at.

Driveshafts don't suddenly get out of balance. When did this start happening and what else occured aroudn that time?

could be the u-joint, my 450sel had about that milage when it went out, and i recently replaced one on my volvo 240, it had a real bad vibration and when i took the drive shaft out it didn't have any play in the u-joints but one had siezed up,so instead of the driveshaft flexing as it should it was rigid, causing the vibration.

Thye center u-joint can be worn, or the driveshaft may have been assembled out of phase when it was taken out. Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc. 425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201 http://www.ditmire.com 609-641-3392

If a full trunk and three adults in the back makes it worse then it's almost certinly your halfshafts. Cheap and fairly easy to replace.