Vinyl replacement dashboard

anybody knows where to buy a vinyl replacement dashboard for my MB yellowish cream colour 1984 -190D thanks in advance

Reply to
Karl Sigerist Sr©

Palco makes the plastic "dash cap" that covers cracking on the top of the dash.

Those are generally available for less than $90. I believe
sells whole dashboard replacements for the W201, for about 3x or 4x more. I would suggest a Google search.

Reply to
MTI

This is great news MTI, thanks a million for the URL

Reply to
Karl Sigerist Sr©

Karl, just this past weekend I examined the dash design on the W201 and it struck me why cracking is so common. The dash has 3 "parts" in its construction. The base is a large flat & thin sheet of aluminum that has been pressed/stamped/molded into the dash shape. After the apetures are cut for the cluster and ducts, a closed cell foam is either spray or brushed on, then the vinyl covering is applied and the vinyl is pressed/stamped/formed against the shell. The result is a very light, padded dash. The problem is that the closed cell foam under the vinyl can be very thin in spots. Over time, the vinyl is going to get hard or brittle due to UV exposure and the foam also hardens over time. The aluminum shell under it all will expand and contract with temperature changes, with the biggest movement along the longitude. That shrinking and expanding causes the front to back cracks in the dash. I think the only preventive action that can be taken is to try to keep the vinyl pliable with UV blockers/conditioners and to avoid exposing the dash to big temperature swings.

Reply to
MTI