VITO van 112 diesel - any recommendations/opinions please

Greetings!
I have been considering options for a new "large comfortable station-wagon" and the Vito Van was suggested! Apparently the 112 cdi has adequate torque and power and is comfortable. Seems to be
very little opinion in this newsgroup's archives, but what I have found seems to be inconclusive (good and bad).
Would be grateful if you could offer any opinions/advice/considerations as I am not familiar with MB products at all. Is this engine/gearbox known to be reliable in MB cars? What quirks and gotchas do I need to be aware of?? Where are they made (are they really a well engineered German product?), etc.
We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time so longetivity, durability, reliability and running costs are all very important.
Thanks kindly,
Jim Kelly, Australia.
Anyone able to help here?
Apparently the Vito 112 CDI engine (2.2L, 90kW at 3800rpm, 300Nm at 1800-2500rpm, turbocharged, intercooled diesel) is used in some of the "220" (C, E and V?) sedans. I'm curious to know what reputation this engine has.
Power seems very low for a largish vehicle?? Or is this ok being a diesel?
Thanks,
Jim
| Greetings! | | I have been considering options for a new "large comfortable | station-wagon" and the Vito Van was suggested! Apparently the 112 | CDI has adequate torque and power and is comfortable. Seems to be | very little opinion in this newsgroup's archives, but what I have | found seems to be inconclusive (good and bad). | | Would be grateful if you could offer any opinions/ | advice/considerations as I am not familiar with MB products | at all. Is this engine/gearbox known to be reliable in MB cars? | | What quirks and gotchas do I need to be aware of?? | Where are they made? | (are they really a well engineered German product?), etc. | | We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time so longetivity, | durability, reliability and running costs are all very important. | | Thanks kindly, | | Jim Kelly, | Australia. |

The diesel pumps can go without much warning, and the glow plugs can be a bastard to get out.

They're fine when they're new, but they fall to bits quite rapidly.

They're a badly made Spanish product.

You might be better off with a Sprinter.
Thanks Nick, I appreciate your help.
Cheers,
Jim Kelly
wrote in message | | > What quirks and gotchas do I need to be aware of?? | | They're fine when they're new, but they fall to bits quite rapidly. | | > Where are they made (are they really a well engineered German product?), | etc. | | They're a badly made Spanish product. | | > We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time so longetivity, | > durability, reliability and running costs are all very important. | | You might be better off with a Sprinter. | |
Tasten:

Do NOT buy a Vito. Last year Mercedes managed to get on last (worst) position with that car in a customer satisfaction index provided by a german car magazine. If you want real german craftmanship, look for a VW T4 Transporter/Bus/Caravelle with 2.1 litre Diesel engine. Make sure the timing belt _and the belt tensioner_ is properly maintained and changed due to schedule, then you simply have the better car. Or, if you need something bigger, go for a Mercedes Sprinter or a VW LT, which are roughly the same cars.
Frank