W115 Unleaded Petrol Question

Just a quick question; does anyone know if a 1969 W115 220 will run on unleaded petrol without problems? I know that many UK cars from the late '60s need converting as the valve seats are too soft. Does this also hold true for barvarian beasties? Mike W126 300SE 234,000 Miles W115 220

Reply to
Just Mike

Hard to say. Try the BMW group... :-)

(Merc main car factories are in Stuttgart and Bremen, neither in Bavaria.)

And now we wait for a more knowledgeable person to give you a proper answer. (Did you ask a technician in a dealership? Or, Merc's in-house museum would know.)

Fairly OT: today I saw two Opels in Hyde Park. One was from 1899 (no steering wheel) and the other much more modern, namely from 1902, IIRC (proper steering wheel, engine in front, rear-wheel drive). I was impressed to hear that they could reach approx 40 km/h. They had just come from Opel's HQ near Frankfurt in preparation for Sunday 7 Nov's London - Brighton run, a 60-mile run for 'older' cars.

I mention it here because these cars are supposed to run on 100-octane (European) petrol but can actually cope with a lower octane. Apparently this grade is now available at some German petrol stations.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Hello Mike, you should use a additive containing metal salts kalium for example, here in sweden every gas station has it. If you have trouble to get it in japan listen with some old harley guys. Roffe -71 220d/8 1000000 Km, -75 230 300000 Km

Reply to
Roffe Berg

Reply to
John Smith