W123 300D Air Cleaner Question

My '82 300CD had a conventional shallow, circular air cleaner, offset to the right side of the engine right above the turbo- charger. My '85 300D had a different arrangement: a deep,
cylindrical air cleaner located in the forward, right-hand corner of the engine bay. I figured the change had been made at some point between the 1982 and 1985 model years.
Yesterday a friend of mine purchased an '85 300D, and it has the same wide, shallow air cleaner housing that my 1982 car had.
My friend is new to Mercedes ownership, and in order to spare him the hassle of getting the wrong part when buying a new air cleaner element, I wanted to find out how typical his car's set-up is. (The first time I bought a new element for my '85, I was given the tall, cylindrical one, no questions asked.)
Was there a running change in air cleaner design during the 1985 model year? Or is it likely that his car had the earlier part fitted at some point after it was originally purchased?
Geoff
--
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his
fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with
Geoff Miller wrote:

The larger air filter is the California mandated system. I have the same one on my '85 300D Turbodiesel Gary C
Don't know about the air cleaner, but I love your quote from Liddy!