W123 Front Engine Stop Question

Hey folks, What is the purpose of the front engine stop on my 1983 240D ? Can it be removed and left off the car? Thanks, Cliff

When your vacuum pump goes you will be turning off the engine with that "front engine stop".
Accually, I am referring to the front engine mount stop, not the engine shut off lever on the injection pump.
I believe it prevents the engine from flopping over in engine bay when the mount is torn apart.