W123 rear tire uneven wear

Does the W123 (1982) have something to toe in or out the rear wheels, or are one of my shocks bad? I've had a recent alignment and it's still wearing
very badly on 1 rear tire.

Nothing to align on a 123. An alignment check will show one of the control arms bent (usually by a siseways impact, as from sliding into a curb, or by the control arm being weakened by rust).
The rear shocks have nothing to do with the rear alignment. Your car has worn bushings back there that allow a wheel to shift back and forth making the rear no longer square to the road, thus the odd rear tire wear.
Technically, there is a bit of rear toe-in that's created by the car's ride height and the geometry of the rear suspension. There's NO rear toe-in adjustment, only a height adjustment via spring pads.
So have the rear control arm bushings checked.