W123 Steering Pump Leaking - help - MANY PICTURES - How do I open it? What to replace?

Hello all,

Now that I have my power steering pump OUT, how do I get it "open" and what do I need to replace?

Pics:

Yeah I know I should have figured that out before, but I'm some dumb kid

-eh? I bought a repair gasket kit, more fluid, filter, etc.

Darrell

Darrell with DieselBenz.info

The copper crush washer goes under the large bolt near the pulley shaft.

the small diameter rubber ring goes inside the pressure relieve mechanism held within that compartment.

the blue radial sealing ring is for the front pulley shaft. The pulley may have to be pulled off with a pulley puller.

the large diameter rubber rings go into the rear of the unit, that recessed cover you can see is secured in place with a snap ring. once you remove it, it will come out, there is spring pressure behind it.

When inserting any lip seals, you may want to liberally coat them with petroleum jelly, as well as the surface they are mating to. if you don't, and they nick even slightly, the whole exercise will be a waste of time because it will still leak.

Reply to
TPr

Doesn't petroleum jelly eat the rubber though?

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

use what ever your comfortable with, to insert the lip seals, if your really good, you can use nothing at all ;)

Reply to
TPr