W123 Suspension

I am replacing the ball joints and upper control arms on my car. I am looking for recommendations for which manufacturers parts to use.
Is there any other parts that I should plan on replacing? There are a lot of
other rubber parts that I don't know how to test.
What about the rear suspension?
Thanks, Scott
I have a 1982 123 300 TDT. I have replaced the coil springs, both front and rear.
If your car has a load leveler system, there are various parts that wear out and need to be replaced from time to time. The most expensive part in the leveler system is the leveler valve. You can tell it's shot when your car sags in the rear when parked. I replaced that valve, $454 if memory serves me right, about ten years ago and my car has started to sag again so it looks like I need to replace the valve again. That part seems to be dealer only or salvage yard only.
The spherical accumulators that provide "give" to the load leveling system fail once in a while. If your car rides "bouncy" in the rear, your accumulators are probably gone and need replacement.
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=jx2ndu4534bwqcermasb5y45&makeid=800016@Mercedes&modelid=1194319@300TDT&year=1982&cid=27@Suspension%20System&gid=7554@Self-Leveling%20Accumulator%20Sphere/Air%20Cell

I should have mentioned that it has the standard suspension. No leveler system.
How common is the leveler system? I have looked at a lot of w123 cars in the wrecking yard and not seen any with this.
wrote:

of

Thanks heav. This is great info. My wagon is in need of this too. Sometime it sags, sometimes it doesn't.
BTW, are you fully recovered from your crash? That was a doozy!

Thanks for asking. I am getting there. I can do practically everything now, I have range of motion pretty much back in my arms, but I don't have full stamina or strength yet. I still draw a complete blank sometimes when I try and remember something obscure that I haven't thought of for a while. The doctors said it would take 9 months to a year to get back to normal. I feel like I am making better progress than that. It's been 4-1/2 months since I got out of surgery.

Congratulations on your progress. Good news! Best wishes to you for an even speedier full recovery!
And one more question on the 123 suspension. You said you replaced all four coil springs. What were the symptoms that made you decide to do that? Steve
Good to hear you are in good health after what you been through.
I recommends Febi/Bilstein parts. They are great quality at a good deal.
If you are going to do that much work... since all W123 are OLD!!!... you definitely should change your spring and spring pads too.
If I were you, I'd just buy lower control arm unit and put it in. The control arm bushings on your car is cracked by now.
The rear, you will have to press those bushings out and put new one in... trailing arm I think that is what it is called.
You should also change out the sub frame bushings also... gone by now too..
New spring pads all around... new sway bar links and bushings all around too... I mean all of them including the bushings that hold the sway bar... if it is not too much work.
New shock absorbers. While you are there, change out all those rubber brake lines.
Did I miss anything else? Oh yeah, definitely get the right spring compressor... they can be rented or just buy your own for under $200 on ebay... alkyracer I think is the seller who sells great tools sold by Baum.