W124 front springs

hi anyone done the front springs on '88 ish W124? my 88 230 TE failed its test on a broken front spring (etc.), the guy who tested it for me (a mate) quite gracefully got out of the job claiming to be
too busy, he reckons its a pig of a job? looks straightforward in the manual - is there a problem with access? need a special spring compressor?
cheers !
Yes, you actually do need a special tool to remove that spring. They are about $200 or so on ebay. You can rent them at Performance Products... I am not sure how much they want to rent now...

spring? ends up costing most of 200 pounds to get here (UK) I've never done a car spring, but done a couple of bike units, but I can't see why an ordinary car spring compressor wouldn't work, unless the springs are incredibly long? Looks like it would need plenty of offset for an ordinary type compressor to clear the 'swinging arm' thing the bottom is mounted on, though must get to a tool shop and eyeball some compressors...
cheers!
Do not use Mcpherson strut compressor... the one that goes on outside. MB is a true spring which has forces of 4 or 5 times of the strut springs.
Use only internal spring compressor. These tools came from Europe, so you should be able to get them there.
size=2>...</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; Yes, you actually do need a special tool to remove that spring. They are <BR>&gt; about $200 or so on ebay. You can rent them at Performance Products... I am <BR>&gt; not sure how much they want to rent now... <BR></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>These tools - spring compressors - aren't too expensive -&nbsp;<A href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MacPherson-Strut-Spring-Clamshell-Compressor-Tool-L-K_W0QQitemZ250151760823QQihZ015QQcategoryZ63700QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ">EBAY</A>&nbsp;here's one for $55, that should suit your needs, and another, pro one - <A href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hydraulic-Automotive-Strut-Coil-Spring-Compressor_W0QQitemZ250151645061QQihZ015QQcategoryZ43998QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ">EBAY</A>&nbsp;for &amp;100 plus &amp;46 s&amp;h.. Well, there even are ones for a few bucks, but with these you have to know, what you're doing - or decompressed spring, after sliding off will make a lot of mess.... </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Whole thing is rather simple, but requires few things - spring&nbsp;compressor, lever offering stable position of a car (not one from original equipment - will make problems when unscrewing hard screws and shaking all car when lying under&nbsp;), good manual (like one form Wis/Asra) and&nbsp;have enough accessories (keys)&nbsp;to disassemble and remove fornt macpherson. And a lot of free time for DYI :)</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=
Those are all the wrong types of spring compressor for Mercedes. Do not use them or risk ending up in hospital or worse.
Agree with Tiger, a very dangerous job without the correct spring compressor - you will injure yourself badly when the spring (old or new) comes flying out!