W124 rear axle subframe mount

I need to change the rear axle subframe mount bushings (the two rubber bushings in the front of the subframe) on my 1989

230E (W124). How do I get these off/on? Do I need to remove the entire subframe for this job? Any hints appreciated.

pej

Reply to
Per Erik Jorde

Per Erik Jorde wrote:

I recently did this job 2 years ago. You should remove the rear differential, by disconnecting the half-shafts and the drive shaft. Depending on the bolts used to fix the half shafts to the differential, you could have a good time or a bad time. My shafts where connect by tri-square bolts( 12 point hex allen type) I had to purchase a special male drive ( M10 from Stahlwille ) 1/2 in. drive. The new bolts from Mercedes where reverse torx cap screws. So the drive I purchased was used once to remove the bolts and not to replace the bolts. I was pissed about that. Anyway, the shafts disconnected, the two rear bushing bolts and the front support bolt out, the differential drops out. ABS cable is connected to the differential, remove it. The bushings require a pressing tool to get out and the new back in. You can rent it from Performance Products. But I created my own tool with fine thread 1/2 bolt and various pipe cap and flat steel scraps. The key is to get the press depth to match the depth of the original bushing. So before you remove the old busings feel/note the reveal of the bushing in relation to the subframe. Pressing the bushing out with the factory tool will be easy. Without the tool, I decided to disassemble my hacksaw and thread the blade through the bushing hole and proceeded to saw the outside bushing sleeve from the inside. Once I weakened the wall of the bushing in 2 spots, it was easy to punch them out of the subframe with a chisel. Clean up the holes with sandpaper and put vasoline on the sleeve and the new bushing. Press them in. Be careful to press only on the outer edge of the bushing and don't press them in any further than your original depth. then raise you differential and attach everything. Your done and you save a small fortune over the dealer cost. Oh make sure you get the ass end of the car up as high as you can. You will appreciate the shoulder room. Let me know if you have any questions. I may have missed a key activity. The guys in this forum are experts and will have other suggestions , good luck

JB

99 E55 88 300E
Reply to
jb

JB: Thanks for your detailed reply, but your description seems to focus on the differential bushings? I ment the subframe bushings on the sides, in front of and slightly inwards from the rear wheels.

pej

Reply to
Per Erik Jorde

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Reply to
jb

No problem. Your description will surely come in handy one day ;-) BTW: after some further googling I came a cross the information I was looking for on changing the subframe mount. Did the change this weekend.

pej

Reply to
Per Erik Jorde

OK. could you post the link to that subframe mount procedure. I may need it soon!

Reply to
jb

Here it is, in two parts:

It is for the W201, but twe W124 is similar.

pej

Reply to
Per Erik Jorde