W124 Ride Height Anomolies

Hello everyone,

I recently began converting my 1987 300D-Turbo suspension to Sportline specs, starting with springs front and rear. I originally started with 2pt spring pads up front and 3pt rear pads, but it looks like I'll have to end up with 4pt front and 1pt rear pads... with 2 point pads in the front and rear, my car rides at right about 13.5 inches up front and a whopping 14.75 inches in the back (center of the wheel to the fender lip). I'm aiming for

13.75-14 inches all around, but I'm wondering if I might be missing something wrong with my front suspension so low and my rear so high. Rear springs are indeed the stiffer of two offered (the lighter ones are light enough to be reserved for 300E 2.6's with no options, I hear) but the difference is just whopping.

The car originally had 1 point pads front and 2 point pads rear, with the front riding considerably lower than the front (though I never did get a proper measurement in before the alignment went horribly wrong and massive negative toe forced my nose to the ground). Car has a new alignment and new tires, as well as recently installed tie rods.

Anyone have any suggestions on what could possibly be causing such a difference in height front/rear, or am I experiencing total normalcy? I'm very happy with the ride quality just starting off, and can only imagine what struts/shocks, sway bars/bushings, and a front strut tower brace will be like.

Thanks! Mike

Reply to
Mike "Rotor" Nowak