w124 wagon -- how do you lower the rear seat backs?

I'm sure it must be a stupid question and I should know the answer but I can't figure it out. I raised the sitting portion and removed the headrests. I don't see how to release the seatbacks to lower them to make the cargo area flat. There are two black pedal looking levers in the middle, one for each seat, but pusing on them does nothing to release the seats as far as I have been able to see.

thanks,

Mike remove "-nospam" from email to reply

Reply to
Mike Maas

On my '95 E320 wagon all you have to do is pull them forward. The one "gotcha" is that if you have the optional retracting luggage cover/safety net then you need to first lower the right-side (aka passenger side) seat before you can lower the left-side.

Reply to
Josh

If they have not been dropped down in a long while and the rear doors are open [the doors have to be open to allow the spring loaded lock pins to release]. then grab the top edge and PULL it HARD. The latch gums up from sitting. If you have the optional rear cargo cover that is attached to the 2/3 seat back, make sure you drop the 1/3 seat 1st. YANK them!

Reply to
Karl

Thanks!!!! Got 'em. Car has been in storage for a year and while I was abroad.

thanks,

Mike

"Karl" wrote:

[the doors have to be