W126 aluminum vs steel hood

Page 1 of 4
I see that there are aluminum and steel hoods available for my car (1985 380SE). Which do I want? Any downside to the aluminum other than cost? I also see if I go with a new part there is only one choice.
Anyone know if that choice is aluminum or steel? Also, anybody ever had work done at Lake Norman Paint and Body in Cornelius, NC? Thanks, Richard
Okay... what happened this time? Your car sounded like it is falling apart big time...
Um...I got into an accident on Friday. It's actually not falling apart, the only thing it needed to be PERFECT was for me to replace the number 8 injector seal, which I was going to do yesterday....guess not. I know, you're thinking what about all the problems it had. I fixed those over the past couple months, and they were all pretty much just little nothings that sounded like big somethings. But yeah, so my car was just about perfect (Body shop guy said before the accident it would have probably got about $7000 on the market, which is good for a 380), the guy in front of the guy in front of me nails his brakes and comes to a complete stop (later I realized to make a left turn, reportedly without a turn signal), the pathfinder in front of me does the same, I tried to do the same in addition to trying to steer around, but even though I was following proper distance and doing the speed limit (maybe less), I just couldn't stop in time nor turn around in time (I didn't start turning until I realized I might not be able to stop in time, which was dumb, from now on I'm just going to turn around whenever I have to hit my brakes hard - I did manage to save basically everything left of the driver's fog light) Now we're looking at a hood, driver's fender, all the headlamp stuff, maybe a grill maybe not. Couldn't get the hood open, but the body shop says they don't see anything else wrong, but they'll let me know on Monday after they get the hood off.
I should add that if I had hit a car instead of an SUV, all I would need is some bumper work (by the time i hit I don't think I was going faster than like 5mph), but instead my bumper didn't get touched (has a scratch on the face of it from touching his exhaust pipe, that's it) and the fender/hood area took the entire impact, which is designed to crumple under the assumption that no person is so stupid as to drive a vehicle where the bumper is as high as the headlamp on a W126 (which has 8 inches of ground clearance, about as much as a pathfinder since the pathfinder has all that junk hanging down underneath...I hate SUVs).
I sounds to me like you were the one that was following too close or going too fast or both.
Don't blame the SUV for hitting them in the rear end.
--

Roger Shoaf

I honestly was not following too close nor speeding (even the other guy said so). I just wasn't able to come to a dead stop in time. I'm not blaming him, I'm just saying SUV's are annoying as hell. The person I blame is the guy way in front who peeled out as soon as we hit each other. I was just saying, if it were a car instead of an SUV the damage would have been very minimal. Also, if he were a car I probably would have seen the guy up front nail his brakes, so that would have given me that couple feet more I needed to stop. Besides, I always hated SUV's, not just now. My brakes also didn't slow me down with the same force I'm used to feeling. When I go down to the body shop to talk to them tomorrow I think I'm going to jack up on front corner and check the pads, perhaps the wear indicator light failed or something. The tires didn't start to squeal until near the end of the stop.
Also, even the other guy said unbaited that "it stinks that you hit me because it becomes your fault even though that guy caused it"
you are responsible for every thing in front of you while driving. it was your fault !
every time the oil is changed you should ask them to look.
don't pass the buck for misjudging your ability to drive properly
the case, minus a few cans!
I know it's my fault. I know when you rear end somebody its automatically your fault, all I was saying is I wish he had been in a car so the damage would have been less. Sheesh it's gotten so they jump all over you in here. Give a guy a break will ya? Then again, why should you, nobody else does. You guys just don't understand how much that car means to me, I mean I'm literally depressed and then everybody starts jumping all over you. I think the only way to make you guys understand what the car means to me is to tell youthat right after i hit him i got out of my car crying. He thought I was hurt, I didn't feel a thing, I was crying for my car. I spent about 10 minutes on my knees without saying a word just picking the glass out of the headlamp. That car means everything to me. You know how they say well at least you're alright that's all that matters? Well that's not the case. If somebody told me I could undo all this but I'd have to break your left arm, your legs, and a couple of ribs I'd tell him to do it. So maybe sometimes you should just let something somebody says slide so you don't drive him clinically insane or worse.
Every time I change the oil I should ask them to look? What them? I guess I'll start looking from now on.

It is just a car. Repeat this over and over. There are a lot more cars out there as good or better. Maintain your perspective.
You know how they say well at least

For the price of fixing all of that damage you could buy 3 or more cars as good or better than your car. This might not be the case if you had a Tucker or a Dusenburg, but there a re a lot of 126's out there.
--

Roger Shoaf

$3825 wouldn't get anywhere close to buying 3 or more cars as good or better (which is basically limited to W126's, 450SEL 6.9, 300SEL 6.3, and while it's something totally different 450SLC 5.0). $3825 wouldn't buy 1 380SE in the shape mine was in. My car was damn near perfect, and we are original owners. I took my first trip home in that car, when it was taking it's first trip home. That car really does mean everything to me. Right now I'm debating the value with the insurance company (which keeps trying to rip me off, my agent said their computer values the car at $5000, and to cover the repairs it needs to be $5100, and it's not to hard to get that extra hundred, then the adjuster comes at me with a $2900 figure and after my asking him where he got that number a few times he finally admits that's for a 300D, then later he calls me with a figure $4,900 but that he still has to deduct mileage - they had like 20,000 less miles - and the fact that those are sold by a dealer. I look at those while on the phone with him and those are two crap cars. Now I have to wait for his response to the e-mail I sent him with links all showing the value of a car in the condition mine was in is a lot higher), but even if they do rip me off (and they won't make a profit doing it, cause we'll stop using them for all our insurance and I have a lawyer who will work pro bono so going to court is no skin off my back), I'll just sell all my camera equipment (and subsequently close my little sports photography business, oh well) and pay to fix it myself.

You wrote:

You can't get all of that medical care for $5,100, it would probably cost more than you car did when it was brand new.
You are losing perspective. If you want to fix your car then fix it. If the insurance company will only give you $3800 but the shop needs $5,100 pay the difference and be done with it. You still have to sometime face the reality that a car is just a car, they don't last forever, and they amost always end up being worth only the price the scrap yard is willing to pay.
Keep your camera, borrow the 1,300 and get on with your life. If you want to fight it out in court, you are probably going to have to pony up the whole cost of repair, and sue your insurance company.
Try contacting a private adjuster and see if he can do better for you. That will be a lot cheaper than doing battle in court.
Good luck kid.
--

Roger Shoaf

No no, I just need $3800 from the insurance company, and since they cover 75% of value I need them to value the car at $5100. The insurance company wants to give me, well at first they wanted to give me about $2000, then they wanted to give me about $4200. I'll get them up there, it's just going to take some time.

Here's the deal with insurance companies. They will absolutly as a matter of policy lowball you and expect to argue. But in the fine print it says they have to "make you whole".
So, if you have a $2500 W126 with $1000 in recepts for new font suspension last week and $3500 for a new rear suspension last month and receipts for all new brakes the month before then they will come to grips with the fact they're on the hook for same.
If you're car was an average car that you've cleaned relaly well and everything works then you ned to find another one in the ads, (10 would be better) and point this out to them and say "look, this is what it costst to get a car in my condition"
If you get $3800 out of them you can always buy one for $2000 and still have lots for repairs and it ahem, hasen't been hit.
Make a case, in two paragraphs why your car is worth so much. Find cars of equal value. Get a check. Get the best value fo rthe money car you can find, even if it's a $500 blowb motor special.
Now you have a few grand to rebuild or replace major components or add a stereo or whatever.
That's what I'd do.
Hmm...I didn't know about that make you whole thing. New radiator 2 years ago, new fuel distributor last summer. How far back does this make you whole thing go? Oh, and I already sent them tons of stuff showing what my car is worth, but they still give me a had time. Oh, and I've already added a stereo and everything to my car, and to suggest replacing it is blashphemous! :-) But yeah, no matter what I'm not replacing it, and it really wasn't such a big hit to not be repairable as good as new. There's no way you'll find a 380 like mine for $2000. I've been looking, mine really would get $6500-$7000 on the market. Mine is nice, very nice. Even the insurance guy who had been giving me a hard time called me to tell me after I e-mailed him the pictures that he has told his manager what nice shape mine was in (I think he thought I was kidding when I told him I had just finished getting it perfect, I wasn't). I know this much, if when I get the call tomorrow from the top person in the bueracracy, and they still don't see things my way, I'm going to let the person know I have a 3pm appointment with my lawyer.

Your bet bet is to find what they call comparables. Find other cars like yours in your area that sold for the value you want or more. Document it. They can't argue with this.

Don't spend too much time with your receipts. Finding other cars that sold for the value you hope to put on your car is the best bet.
Also if nothing else works, start crying and talk about how much this car means to you because it's been in your family so long. Seriously. Monetary valuation of any property also must consider emotional attachment. Plus, they will want to get you out of there quickly :~)
Marty
They went back door on me, called my dad, and told him the estimate was $3600 and that they will total it, but in the end I will get $3600 (basically this way they would avoid paying for any additional costs that get incurred). In fact, the initial estimate was $3600 and after taking the car apart that came to $4200, but since my dad had already accepted (not on paper, but over the phone), it was enough to kill my entire bargaining position. My dad will cover the difference for me though.

Thanks dad!
Oh yeah, all the way. I was just kinda surprised that he took their offer rather than stick it out. I think he just figured he rather just accept their 3600 and take care of the rest rather than find out the total cost and then have to wait while i fight with the insurance some more. I get the feeling he just wanted to get the thing over with. Whoa..just checked my balance, he gave me $1k to cover the $600. I guess somehow he found out that I was at a point where I was selling stuff to buy food (been too busy to run the photog business and I never ask my parents for money even if I need it).

Yeah, we know how he feels. 8*)