W126 aluminum vs steel hood

Page 2 of 4
Oh, and while there are a lot of SEL's out there, there aren't that many SE's. The 380SE was only sold in the US for 2 years and during those two years only 25,000 were made for the entire world (and looking
at the previous production numbers I'm guessing about 13,000 made it to the states). And I really don't understand where you're getting that there are a lot more cars out there as good or better. Name 5 current production cars that are better built than a W126. Maybe some look better on the surface, or have better performance numbers, but start taking them apart and you'll see what I mean: there are none.

Uh, not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't that the #define of too ?
Ok, let me put it this way, I was far away enough that one would have very reasonable expectation to think I could have easily stopped in time. What happened that I wasn't able to, I don't know. I needed like 5 more feet. Which is why I want to inspect my brakes. So does anybody other than T.G. want to actually answer my question, or does everyone just want to be a dick?
if you turn the wheel full left or right you should be able to see the pads. just stick your head under & look
now if he disks are glazed you may want to replace them.
the case, minus a few cans!
Hmm, disks you say. I just looked at my records. They have a history of lasting about 23000 miles, last time they were replaced: 23000 miles. Hmm and my pads have never lasted more than 8000 and the current ones have 13000 one them. Perhaps my pad low indicator light has failed me? Of course I've always used MB pads and this time there are PRB metal masters on there. I'm guessing fresh rotors and pads would have stopped me that 5 feet sooner that I needed?
you must do a lot of city driving with a heavy foot
the case, minus a few cans!
About 90% city driving. I'm from DC, so the city really is city. If you average the number of stops and the number of miles, it's probably one stop per 1/4 mile. Though I've been doing more highway driving lately.

Ah, brake problems probably explains it. Didn't mean to give you a hard time, my MB is pretty much irreplacable as well, so I know how you must feel...
We bought my 380 when I was born, literally. It's first trip home was also my first trip home. But yeah, I'm in the process of e-mailing around for a big brake kit, but it seems nobody makes them for the w126 any more and everybody is out of new old stock stuff too. I'm going to at least go to ATE power discs. I wonder why Benz left all the brake replacement stuff out of the service cd's. I know it's in my service books, but those are back home. Or is just my CD missing it?
The official CD from MB? I have seen the brake section. It's there. Anyway, it is pretty similar among all MB or even all disk brakes. If you need help, let me know. Yes, I can help, literally. I live in Maryland and work in DC too. The city driving you described, yeah, I experience that too :-( The traffic is getting pretty bad in recent years.
marlinspike wrote:

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in North Carolina for the time being. Yep, the official CD, it has the brake section but it's missing the parts about pad and rotor replacement. It's in my paper books of the service manual, which I have back home in DC.
Though you know what, you would probably know the answer to my only real question on rotor replacement. Do I really need to repack the wheel bearings and is it easy to screw up repacking the bearings at all? I've done pads, takes like 10 seconds, and other than repacking the bearings which is something I've never done (never replaced rotors before, but seems simple) replacing the rotors seems almost as easy.
Don't need to pack the wheel bearing. You know how to change the pads? That's great. So the caliper is off. The rotor has a screw locking it to the hub. I think it's 4 or 5mm hex key. Just pull off the rotor once the locking screw is out. There may be rust on the hub contacting surface. If so, use a hammer to knock out the rotor. Don't worry. The rotor is not going to be reused (MB manual does not mention the rotor is serviceable. My local shop also refuses to resurface it.)
Rear rotors are different since replacing pads does not need to take down the caliper. Also the parking brake (inside the rotor) may need to be released slightly to allow removal of rotor.
The above is all by memory. The last time I did on W126 was almost two years ago but I really don't recall anything special between it and W201 or W202.
Good luck.
marlinspike wrote:

You don't take off the caliper to replace the front pads on a W126, but as long as it is no more difficult than unbolting it and bolting it back on, I don't see anything special about it. So every how often should I repack the wheel bearings?
Whenever you take out the rotor/hub assembly.
Don't you do that to replace the rotors?
Yep... you need a 6mm allen key on 3/8" socket... a 3/8" to 1/2" socket adapter... and a long bar wrench to get that rotor off the hub.
What I did is take the hub out... put in on the wheel and use three lugbolt to hold the hub... flip the wheel over and use the wheel like a vise to keep it from spinning as you remove the allen bolts.
Oops, so my memory was not right. Is this a senior moment?
Anyway, I am going to refresh my memory by practicing it in the next few days.
Tiger wrote:

You were talking about W124 or the W201... they look kinda alike. Nah, you just skipped a couple of steps.
well been 19 says it all
the case, minus a few cans!