W126 aluminum vs steel hood

Oh yeah, all the way. I was just kinda surprised that he took their offer rather than stick it out. I think he just figured he rather just accept their 3600 and take care of the rest rather than find out the total cost and then have to wait while i fight with the insurance some more. I get the feeling he just wanted to get the thing over with. Whoa..just checked my balance, he gave me $1k to cover the $600. I guess somehow he found out that I was at a point where I was selling stuff to buy food (been too busy to run the photog business and I never ask my parents for money even if I need it).

Reply to
marlinspike

Yeah, we know how he feels. 8*)

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Don't know the specific answer to this.

There are two different things being discussed here though...

Usually resurfacing refers to re-machining the surface of the disk after damage has been done to it. This means someone didn't change the pads and wore grooves or scars into the metal disc surface (whoo hoo both spellings!).

I guess the above is what Mercedes doesn't recommend. I suppose they don't put any extra metal into the discs to begin with in the interest of most rapid cooling... This means if you toast the disk you need to replace it.

On the other hand, the roughing up I am talking about isn't a re-machining. You can accomplish it with a stiff wire brush or a medium light grit of sandpaper (clean throughly afterwards!). Usually I use a wire brush head on my cordless drill. simply working in circles over the surface of the disc until it doesn't look polished (shiny) any longer. This doesn't really remove any significant material, and allows the new pads to seat more efficiently.

I would love to hear from some more experienced MB techs about this in case my experience doesn't apply here ?

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Isn't this only if you don't bed them in by taking it up to 50 and slowing down to 20 (I forget the exact speeds, they're in the book) for the first few stops (well, not stops, since you shouldn't come to a complete stop until after they;ve been bedded, but you know what I mean)?

Reply to
marlinspike

it is to SEAT the new pads they have hi & low spots and a little scuffing of the disks helps to pull off the hi spots and to get better contact with the 2 surfaces . it is better than burning them in

if one rotor is bent replace both

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man