w126 central locking similar to w124/w201?

I currently own a w124 and a w201. I fitted them with an after-market remote control for the central locking. That works really well.

Now I'm thinking of getting a w126. Does anyone know if the central locking system on the w126 is similar to my other cars'?

Pump under the rear seat, similar wiring? If the pump is exchangeable I'm pretty sure it'll work on the w126 too.

X.

Reply to
Ximinez

I checked them out. Apparently there isn't a source in the US.

JD

Reply to
GP

W124 and W201 are very similar. They even share a few model specific parts. W126 is very different from either, though the central locking uses the same principle. In fact, most MBs do share many design principle.

W126 places the pump in the spare tire well. I don't think the pump is exchangable (among W124, W126 and W201), probably not even between early and later W126. In the US market, the 86 and later W126 received many updates. Since W201 and W124 were introduced around that time, I would expect the later W126 has more similarity.

If I remember correctly, I did encounter different wiring for the vacuum pumps though I cannot recall whether they were from different model or same model but different year, and I don't remember which model it was.

Anyway, the difference I notice was the power to the pump. Old design was routing the power thru the door switch. The newer design was that the door switch servers as trigger to turn on/off power which comes directly from battery. Your remote control should work either way.

Xim> I currently own a w124 and a w201. I fitted them with an after-market

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Not surprising I guess.

Perhaps some of the European online stores ship to the US. I tried mine (conrad.nl) but they don't.

Regards, Peter

Reply to
Ximinez

Makes sense, I'll probably be getting the earlier version, unfortunately. The tax advantages start with cars > 25 yo... :(

I guess I should be able to figure out what goes where with a multi-meter. I'll have the w201 for comparison.

Thanks for the info! I expected something like this.

Remote control is one of the mod cons I'd prefer not to do without (others are electric front windows and aircon).

I understand that on these cars the manual AC units are preferred to the automatics.

My shopping list currently is:

- 280 SE or 500 SE (preferable not an L, saves garage space)

- Manual AC

- Electric windows

- No automatic levelling system

- Low kms... ;)

- Nice colour

- Non-blue dashboard (cause they crack)

Regards, Peter

Reply to
Ximinez

Well, I bought a '83 280SEL yesterday, with the climate control (well, it works for now).

I also researched this issue a bit more. Apparently w126's of the first series (before 85) are a bit more complicated. The driver's door doesn't have an actuator, so if you install the remote system. All doors will open except the most important one. :(

Apparently a system with actuators is needed.

X.

Reply to
Ximinez