w126 SEC wheel offset

I'm changing the wheels on my 1990 SEC (it currently has a set of Replica 18" Aero II's bought with it which are not in keeping with what I'm doing
with the car) and want to know what the correct offset is for the alloys.
I've been offered a set of BBS RS 3 piece wheels in the following size:-
8.5 x 17 et13
Seller has advised that these were bought to fit a W124 500E but He decided to go with Brabus alloys instead.
Will this fit my 560 SEC and sit correctly in the arches? I'm trying to create a correct period look for the car and I always preferred these wheels over the AMG Aero split rims.
If they are the wrong offset, what is the correct one I should be looking for?
TIA
Alan M
--
www.atstone.co.uk

Marble & Limestone Importers
That is the right wheel offset for your car. It is totally wrong for 500E. For W126, we need about et 15.
Thanks Tiger,
The 8.5 x 17 makes sense to me but what is the et13 or et15, I understand it's describing an offset and it must be some form of measurement but exactly what?
Also if the standard offset for an SEC is et 15, does that mean a et13 stick our further or is further under the arch. I hope that makes sense!
Is it from rim edge to some point on the back edge of the hub itslef?
Just curios what each number means.
Thanks
Alan M
--
www.atstone.co.uk

Marble & Limestone Importers
Tire offset is the measurement from center of the rim to the mounting plate. It is measured in mm... so ET 15 is 15mm offset.
You are allowed about 5mm variance either way... 5mm is only about 1/4" difference... makes no really visible difference. In this case, will be 2mm sticking more out... which is like 1/8"
The offset depends on the width of the rim... with 8.5" width... it should be around 20mm. It is acceptable.
I just verified again with another source... that is the right offset for 500E car... apparently only the 500E has totally different offset than regular 124 chassis... and it is close enough to be used on our W126.
That's great Tiger,
It's nice to understand what these numbers mean when I actually go and take a look at them tomorrow.
It's quite a find, these have been out of production for at least 10 years so finding a fully refurbished set out of blue was very lucky.
Alan M
--
www.atstone.co.uk

Marble & Limestone Importers
Yep... I am looking for those Lorinser rims... so darn hard to find those classics... makes you wonder... where did they go?
Which Lorinser rim are you looking for?
The multispoke like that on the Tamyia model or a different one?
They were not particularly popular in the UK so if a set comes up they are usually cheap. Give me some details and I'll keep an eye out, I'm always sourcing bits and pieces for the car.
Alan M
--
www.atstone.co.uk

Marble & Limestone Importers
The D90... are the one I like alot... polish finish and hopefully in 16".
Ok I've made a note of that, on my travels as I'm picking up parts I'll see if I come across any, far more popular in Germany and mainland Europe than here, but that means they're cheap when they come up as no one really knows what they are.
Alan M
--
www.atstone.co.uk

Marble & Limestone Importers
I got no result searching for D90's on google, but I think it's this one you're after?
Very similar to the AMG Aero 1 Monoblock. If this isn't the one, send me an image, you can find my email on my website below.
Alan.M
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lorinser-Felgen-8x16-ET-11-W126-W116-W123-W114-R107_W0QQitemZ8065316005QQcategoryZ9888QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
--
www.atstone.co.uk

Marble & Limestone Importers
I could try Charles at the SEC shop for you, this is where my car is currently being revived and He seems to have his sources for these items.
http://www.sec-shop.com/parts.htm
--
www.atstone.co.uk

Marble & Limestone Importers
Charles got the one I love... he calls it Lorinser 16"... I know it is for W126... but I know who could use one... one of my friend...
There is another Lorinser I love... Look here... These are drop dead georgeous!
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t 3850
Let me know how much they are if you can find them.
Theres a set of those on Ebay Germany right now, but not quite as deep dish and probably with the wrong offset , but they do come up.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-Mercedes-Lorinser-Gullideckel-Poliert-VW-BBS-AMG_W0QQitemZ8068159084QQcategoryZ9888QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
--
www.atstone.co.uk

Marble & Limestone Importers
Nope... that's not it... that is standard MB rim... from the model number... seems to be for W140 body...

http://articles.mbz.org/wheel/offsets /
FWIW, I have ET-11 Ronals on my 126. I actually think they're for a Porsche, but they seem to work.
Here is another article:
http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
I saw at another source, that older models should have 18-25 mm offset and newer models 35-42 mm.
But anyway, it also depends on the rim width, since you would normally try to maintain the outer edge of the wheel at the same position.

Uh yeah. Offset for a 6.5" wheel is different from a 7" wheel is different from an 8.5" wheel.
Well I bought them and I'm delighted, similar to the ones in the following ebay sale (actually this seller who I highly recommend - He was most helpful):-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 65316599&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
The set isn't actually refurbished at all, it's practically brand new and the whole set for 800 which is really a bargain.
I'd found a few sources on line but hadn't had a quote for less than 2000 for a refinished set.
Appreciate the help with the sizes though.
I've just now to decide if I should leave them as they are or have them broken down, the rims polished and the centre painted metallic black to match the body of the car.
Alan M.