w126 V8 blowing smoke on takeoff

The valve stem oil seals eventually harden and allow oil to leak into the combustion chambers. My own 500SE W126 had the seals replaced at 100,000 miles and is smoke free and does not use any significant amounts of oil.

-- Al Bolton, G4VSQ

1988 Mercedes 260E 155, 000 miles FOR SALE
Reply to
Al Bolton

Hey,

I've noticed that all W126 V8s (380, 420, 560) over here (Australia) are all blowing smoke on takeoff... my dad drives an 88 420SEL and it does the same

Why is this? Dad and I gave his car a right thrashing up and down his street, and it only blows smoke when you initially start accelerating.. my guess is the engines weren't driven hard enough when they were first bought, but the mechanic that works on the 420 said it's what those engines do, because the oil settles when the car is idle and then it burns a bit on takeoff

I've also noticed the W116 V8s are blowing smoke almost constantly, i saw a

450SL burning up the street and it was leaving a huge black cloud behind it

I'm interested in finding out what causes this, as I'll be looking for a

560SEC soon for myself, and I want to know if the smoking problem can be avoided, or if it's inevitable on the old merc v8s

Just subscribed to this group, so i don't know if this topic has been covered numerous times before... i also tried searching on google to no avail

Thanks for any ideas

Reply to
randell

its because the valve stem seals do not last forever.

Hello from Outback Perth, Western Australia.

Reply to
Bill

thanks for the reply guys

now i know the problem is fixable i'll start searching for my 560 !

Reply to
randell

accelerating..

Reply to