W140 needs new tires

My 1993 500 SEL needs 4 new tires and I am curious if any of you have used a different tire size (other than the factory recommended 235-60-16)like a 55 series, and how that worked out.
If not, what brand tire have you had luck with? My driving is 4 season, and in winter our urban roads are always well plowed & passable so I am going to consider a performance tire.
I am open to your thoughts on the various tire sources also. Thanks
Jim
91 TE 4Matic 93 500 SEL
Very limited choices and they are all all-season type. There is no viable option for performance tires on 16" wheels... If you choose to stay with 16", I'd probably pick BF Goodrich Traction TA or go for the cheaper Falken at Tires.com.
If you go 17" then you got reasonable priced performance tires... 255/50R17... and I would pick Falken Ziex S/TZ-01... which will give you at least 50K miles usage. However, you will have to buy new wheels... can be cheap or expensive... replica is what I would go for.