W202 C280 steering problem

Hi there,

I've got a '96 C280 who had a problem and replaced the lower control arm and the drag link due to an accident that I posted earlier.

The problem of that issue has been mainly resolved, wheel alignment is also done in normal way without have to bend any wishbone or something like that. But now when driving (at whatever the speed is), the steering wheel are slight tend to the left (ie does not travel straight), and I also found that the front wheel positioning is not equal between the left and the right (the front-left wheel is slightly in rear, and the front-right wheel is normal and correctly positioned, by using the middle tree fingers as a 'ruler' to measure the gap between the tyre and the 'frame'). Is that the reason why the steering tend to the left (since the left front wheel is behind than the front-right wheel when travelling straight)? So is it possible to shift the control arms and/or upper wishbone to 're-position' the left front wheel a bit forward to resolve the problem, or is the problem has something to do with something else?

Moreover, when I turn left at a very low speed, the steering wheel refuse to 'turn-back' to its normal position, is that normal? When turning right, it seems fine, it will pull the steering wheel slowly back to right, until normal straight position.

Is it also true that since the drag link is new, thus caused the steering wheel is heavier to turn than before?

Shall I send the car back to the dealer to have a comprehensive check as well?

Any response or advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards, Joe.

Reply to
Joe

The console brackets are bent, straitening them is no big problem.

Reply to
the guvnor

Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply and advise, but I just wonder if just bend the console brackets will resolve all the symptoms?

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards, Joe.

"the guvnor" ¦b¶l¥ó news:MLc3d.29$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-win.ntli.net ¤¤¼¶¼g...

The console brackets are bent, straitening them is no big problem.

Reply to
Joe

Vehicle not tracking straight and steering wheel is slight tilt is very obvious of bad alignment job... send the vehicle back and have it redone. Sometime their machine will go out of calibration and they don't know it.

As for turning and returning... that's steering box problem... the adjustment is never touched so it shouldn't be happening... get the alignment done right first.

Reply to
Tiger

Well it depends (not being able to see the car in question), normally the rear one is the main culprit, but you need to get this professionally repaired, as it's a job that needs care, and in theory once the wheel is in the correct place your steering should be ok again.

But that said it's no big deal, in fact I've just been through this with a C180, and it's front wheel was about an inch back...

Reply to
the guvnor

Thank you so much for the input!! I shall send the car to the mechanics and ask him to fix it up again!

Thanks with regards, joe.

"the guvnor" ¦b¶l¥ó news:sGm3d.2899$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net ¤¤¼¶¼g...

Well it depends (not being able to see the car in question), normally the rear one is the main culprit, but you need to get this professionally repaired, as it's a job that needs care, and in theory once the wheel is in the correct place your steering should be ok again.

But that said it's no big deal, in fact I've just been through this with a C180, and it's front wheel was about an inch back...

Reply to
Joe

Not necessarily... This symptom can also be caused by poor alignement... I had this one time in the old buick...

Exactly! Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph