W210 E220D Experiences?

Hi,
I consider buying a E 220 D (1996) manual tranny. Any particular issues with this engine I should be aware of? As far as I know there will be a
filter kit available soon so I can argue it as "green". :-) What average fuel consumption do you experience? The advert claims 7.1l/100km (33MPG) but I'm skeptical. Thanks!
Regards
    robert