Water Leak in Trunk of 1979 300SD

Threaded View
Hello,

When it rains I have water leaking into my trunk. The water sits in
the well ont the passenger side. Everything looks dry around the trunk
seals and window.
Can anyone offer where I might look to find the cause?

Re: Water Leak in Trunk of 1979 300SD
Suggest you water test the seal around the fuel fill tube and the drain
tube from that area. If nothing found there, the rear window's seal
becomes the next suspect. Be careful when doing anything to the rear
window - it may crack.

If the car has a sun roof you should also test its water drains - they
eventually rust out. I don't know where they exit, possibly in the front
and center pillars.
permission.

Re: Water Leak in Trunk of 1979 300SD
On Sep 27, 1:48 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at

In my car, the above mentioned fuel filler door area was one leak.
The other was the taillight lens.  The gasket was shot.
Unfortunately, MB wants like $80 for the stupid foam gasket.  I used
some weatherstrip adhesive with the 25 year old original.

One technique is to get inside the trunk with a flashlight while
someone uses a garden hose on the trunk area.

Re: Water Leak in Trunk of 1979 300SD

Yeah, and then the trunk lock (another weak point) decides to fail ;)

Ximinez
Re: Water Leak in Trunk of 1979 300SD
Rust... look at the corner of the wheelwell... rip out that side trunk panel
and find the rust.

Site Timeline