water leak near tailgate hinge - repairing rubber seal?

This is a 83 300td - after a heavy downpour I noticed a lot of water in the rear area next to the tailgate. Using a faithful old bottle of water trick I
can see water coming thru next to the hing where the rubber is damaged. Cause of damage is the clip holding the wires to the rear tailgate is touching & tearing the rubber. Any suggestions ... Can I simply cut out damaged rubber & replace with good section - Replacing whole rubber looks tough & no doubt expensive.
Steve
Try an easier solution... put some clear silicone chaulk behind that damaged rubber