WATER PUMPS

Has anyone ever heard of a water pump giving you a "warning" that it is about to go by discharging a small amont of coolant? Someone told me this could be
why there was a leak one day but not again since.
Also does anyone know why I would be smelling fuel through my heater system?
And finally, how do you adjust how "rich" the car runs. This car I know for sure seems to be getting way too much fuel - it is all you can smell.
380SEL - 119000 miles

The water pump Does have a drilling in the casing between the two bearings. If water is coming out of this drilling it means the seal on the bearing has failed. This will be followed by the bearing failing in time. The fuel smell in the heater is probably from a leak in the engine bay. Suggest you get the injection system checked out. If the engine is running rich, you wouldn't smell it. You only smell neat fuel. Again, suspect something is leaking.

Some cars' waterpumps drip a bit as an indication (warning) of a worn seal. My experience with M-B water pumps (on diesels) is: perfect one day and a gushing leak the next.
Fuel odor is from a leak on the engine. It won't "go away" so have someone fix it.
The engine running "too rich" may be related to the fuel leak - or not. Either way, the air / fuel ratio can be adjusted by a trained M-B mechanic.
One other thing on the smell through the heater may be the heater core leaking. Usually you will also get some water on the interior floor as well.
A leaking heater core smells like curry.

"A leaking heater core smells like curry. "
And all this time I thought that smell was from filling up with fuel from Apu at the Quiki Mart!