What does AMG mean?

Page 1 of 2
What do the letters AMG on the trunk of a 1989 560 SEC mean?

Bill Bunn wrote:

Aufrecht Meicher Grossaspach. They were a tuner of MB's until the mid 1990's when MB bought them. A synonym for FAST!
"MeLcher" to be precise...
DAS
.... and what does it represent? a name? If I translate I get 'upright melcher greater-aspach' the latter reminding me of a brandy. Anyone have any insight??
cheers, guenter

What? You don't know? :-)
Anyway, a quick trip into Google land will provide the answer:
Three words Two names One place....
And the brandy is, of course, Asbach Uralt, faux German brandy, of which I also immediately thought when seeing the AMG spelled out.
DAS
"Guenter Scholz" < snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message
news:dq3518$hc5$ snipped-for-privacy@rumours.uwaterloo.ca...
just in case anyone is wondering, AMG refers to Herr Aufrecht and Herr Melcher who reside(d) in Grossaspach (greater Aspach) a city less than 100km north of Stuttgart.
I did try to use google, but I 'hate' downloading programs just to enter their website ... then, to make matter worse, if you try to click 'back' on your browser you can't escape..... that was enough for me to drop it
cheers, guenter

On 2006-01-12 06:42:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Guenter Scholz) said:

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. You don't need to download anything and I haven't clue what the second part of the above means...
.... all right, I'll be clearer. If you enter AMG's main website at
http://www.mercedes-amg.com
then you will immediately.... before you can peruse said ... be asked to download version 7 of Flashlayer. Personally I'm sick and tired of all these 'add-on' programs that will clutter up my computer being a firm believer in "ordung muss sein" :-) Then to make matters worse if you click on the 'back' button on explorer (which returns you to a previous page) presumably whatever you were 'visiting' before going to 'AMG'..... you are stuck on AMG's intro page .... inviting you to download Flashplayer V.7. Yes you can approach this in alternative ways.... I personally like using the 'back' button rather than going to 'my favorites' etc. Hope this makes more sense even if it's at the expense of bandwith and not important whatsoever
cheers, guenter

Guenter Scholz wrote:

The Macromedia Flash Player is a general purpose application that is required to see some animated web pages. It seems that you don't have installed in your computer the version of Flash Player needed to open the http://www.mercedes-amg.com web page and that explains the warning that you received.
The download page of the popular player describes it as: "Macromedia Flash Player is the standard for delivering high-impact, rich Web content. Designs, animation, and application user interfaces are deployed immediately across all browsers and platforms, attracting and engaging users with a rich Web experience."
Hernando
Hernando, all nice and fine.... I don't want their &%^#&^% player and should be given the choice of whether or not I should install ..... it was NOT a warning, but a demand since otherwise you can not enter their website... so be it then. BUT then they should not keep me captive.... my first thought was that they are getting paid for almost 'forcing' people to acquire the flashplayer but considering it's MB I thought nahhhh but ,,, who knows.
In short, I guess, it's ME that decides what I need, not someone else.
cheers, guenter

No kidding huh? If I wanted to see a friggin movie I'd drive to the theatre and buy a ticket. I want informtion and I can read thank you.
It's the marketing poeple. There just aren't enough animated gifs for those folks. If I see the words "media rich content" again I swear I'll spew my tacos all over this fine keyboard.
Richard Sexton wrote:

You are sooo right! The software guys earn their living creating animation and DEMAND that we install their applications whether we want/need them or not. On the same vein, please don't get me started on the intrusion of pop-ups because I will be spewing tacos myself....

We call these people "amateurs". What is so hard about a text only link for people on dialup or with text only browsers?
The 126 manual is Flash too; it would have made so much sense as text hyperlinks. Pity.
Richard Sexton wrote:

Indubitably!
I disabled flash in my netscape browser by finding the relevent file and removing it. There should be a menu option to do that.
Flash is stupid, annoying and useless.
.
Why, pray?
This is obviously a 'flash-point' issue for you... <giggle>...
DAS
"greek_philosophizer" <greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
Many ads use flash and by disabling flash I was able to disable the ads as well.
Flash is like the pictures in the book. When you are little you read books with pictures and then when you are bigger you dispense with the pictures.
Perhaps web designers feel flash is a necessary to be sophisticated and attractive. I just view it as an inferior time wasting boring mini movie.
If there is something to be said it should just be said. Spare me the elaborate production.
.
Well, ok. The good website have a "skip into" feature.
DAS
"greek_philosophizer" <greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
... websites... "skip intro"... even.
I am just rushing too much...
DAS
"Dori A Schmetterling" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Cbydnep snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...
Heh!
I read it like you meant it!
.
Well, some of the websites do have an "enter" button... so you could say it's a "skip into" feature..
news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...