What does the LE stand for?

I have a 1993 190 LE (That's what it says in the paperwork). But my Merc expert can find no reference to the "LE". Can anyone throw some light on this, please? In particular, what is the difference between the E and the LE?

Reply to
sqvrti

Is this simply on your paperwork, or is the car actually badged as a 190LE? On the 190 badge, the "E" indicated Einspritz (sic?) which is the German word for fuel injection, meaning that it is a gasoline powered fuel-injected engine (as opposed to diesel). An "L" on the badge generally stands for "licht", which is the German word for "light" as in "sporty". I don't recall any 190LE model, but that doesn't mean it did not exist. Also keep in mind that MBZ has some "internal" nomenclature for their models that does not necessarily translate into the same thing as the badge model. For example, the current model C230-Kompressor is internally referred to as a C230WZ. The "W" indicates it is a "wagen" which is the German word for "car" or "sedan", as opposed to a coupe (C), a cabriolet-style convertible (A), a roadster (R), a station wagon (S) or a long-wheelbase sedan (V). I am not sure about the "Z" nomenclature, but I believe it has to do with it being a "sport" model.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Engine 2.3 gas or 2.6 gas?

For both there were L imited E ditions in the US for the 1993 modelyear:

Juergen - 240D AMG (A lways M ighty G ood)

Reply to
Juergen .

It's on a 2 litre petrol/gas saloon. I have seen similar models with a the LE badge on it, but there is no badge at all on mine.

It does have alloy wheels, armrest, rear head-restraints, a little bit of wood trim, etc. But I don't know if these were just accessories, or even if the LE was just a package with extras thrown in. However, it looks like it has a lowered suspension, and the saleslady did mention sports suspension (at least I think she did, but it was some years ago now.)

Many thanks for your replies. Would appreciate any more.

Reply to
sqvrti

As I recall, E= Fuel injected gasoline, from the german word for injected, which starts with E L= Long wheel base, from german word for long

I'd have to disagree with an earlier poster that said L is for light/sporty. Hard to reconcile that with models like 500SEL which were the flaghship of the line and certainly not light.

Reply to
trader4

The L for "light" (sporty) applies to the SL class. L after an E is for Long wheelbase. With the L before the E on this model, i don't see it meaning Longwheelbase at all/ For fuel injected and long wheelbase it would have been a "190 EL".

Reply to
sdp1

That is true e.g. for an 450SEL

That is true e.g. for an SL320 or an SLK350

With sedans, yes.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Looks like Juergen found the LE...

Is your car brilliant metallic emerald green?

Reply to
Martin Joseph

It's a metallic "Rosso Red", a kind of pearlescent finish. There was another LE for sale at the time which was Metallic purple......

Reply to
sqvrti

Those damn Germans can't keep their letters straight! Using L's for different things! I forgot the obvious SL series. Thanks for the correction.

Reply to
trader4

Limited Edition

Near the end of the production in 1993, Mercedes tried to renew some interest in the W201 by releasing the Sportline, Limited Edtions, Avantgarde and the Berlin 2000 models.

Reply to
MTI

You are correct Mark, but in addition MB did/does this to get rid of parts and vehicle inventory by packing in lots of accessories that are normally extra cost. The "NEW" C-class was to arrive and 190 was selling slow. MB did the same by offering a LE on the 95 E-class when the redesigned 96 E-class was to debut in early 1995, and in 99 for the S-class with the "GRAND" editions before the redesigned 2000 S-class arrived.

Reply to
glenflow55