WHAT ENGINE OIL PLEASE

Hello all. I have a V 220 CDI, it has now covered nearly 5000 miles and the "ASSYST" oil check informes me that I need to add one litre of oil.
Being of the generation that used a dip stick I confirmed that this is correct. After a visit to the garage I was totally confused with the vast array of oils on offer, synthetic, semi-synthetic, ordinary and so on. My question is, what is the "factory fitted" oil and what oil should I use for topping up from the major UK brands. Thanks in advance John
"The" garage or "a" garage?
I.e. it wasn't a Merc garage? What do Merc say?
With a petrol engine it would be Mobil-1.
DAS --
Mobil Delvac-1 synthetic is the best for diesels IMHO, followed by the Shell Rotella synthetic.
D. "97 MB E300D '96 VW Passat TDI