What engines does the new S come with?

Ole Heavy Karl, the local MB dealer, put an ad in the daily wipe saying he has the new S Klass in. So I stopped in to see it, but it is only there during the week. He drives it on the weekends, or at least on Sunday. So one of the salesmen said that it comes only with the 5.5L engine this year. Maybe next year they will sell it with other engines. I really do not want the big 8 in it when I should be looking for some kind of hydrogen engine or something like that. Anyone know about any other engines available?

mcbrue gaspoorly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Right now, in the USA, the 221.171 [S550] only comes with the 273.961 engine. That is the only model being offered right now. I have no other 221 model info coming in the US.

Reply to
Karl

According to the November/December 2005 issue of MBCA's "The Star" magazine:

"For its first year in the U.S., three models will appear: the S450, the S550 and the S600, distinguised mainly by their engines."

Furthermore, the article lists the following estimated prices: $79,500, $89,500 and $135,000, respectively.

Ricky

Reply to
RickyE

European models are currently offered w/ 5.5L V-8 (S500), 3.5L V-6 (S350) and 3.0L V-6 CDI diesel (S320cdi). The lesser (than V-8) models can be had there in standard length (200") or L(ong) (205"). Also a S600L for the V-12 egomaniacs.

The V-6 version accelerates 0 - 62.5 mph in 7.2 sec which is plenty fast and gets about 4 mpg better UK fuel economy than the V-8 (but 6 mpg less than the UK diesel, which accelerates almost as well, 7.5 sec.)

At this early stage of roll out they're establishing the car's prestige image, training the sales and service force and skimming the cream off the market. It'll get serious next year.

This fall LEXUS will be offering a new LS model: 4.6L V-8 with an 8 speed transmission and a lot of new features. It's clearly aimed at the M-B S Class models so there just may be a real choice (and some competitive pricing too).

Also, the M-B E class will be "refreshed" next year and offered with a V-6 diesel and some new safety features.

I can hardly wait.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

THIS year.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Wish I could wait, but the air conditioning on this onld junker of mine is shot - did the 1800 replacement of the thing in the middle of the dashboard. But now when I have been driving for an hour or so, it stops cooling. I have to turn it to the economy setting (no compressor) and then gradualy I can coax it back on. So I really can't use the car in the spring, summer, or autumn anymore. Guess I will go with a used LS until the new ones come out - I just don't want to buy a 5.5L gas hog with the shortages coming. I remember the lines in California back in the 70s. I lived in the midwest then, but used to run out to the coast a lot for whatever. And the gas lines there were just not fun! So why pay $10,000 extra for an engine that will keep me in gas lines even longer than the cheaper engine! Ah well - das chermans knows best !!!!!

mcbrue feelingskunkedly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

The current 280 & 320 CDIs are not V6?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Resend as I could not see my post in the NG.

"The current 280 & 320 CDIs are not V6?"

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

There is the V12 biturbo in the S65 but that may not be very good on fuel either.....

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Your first post was recorded at 4:23 AM, Dori. Maybe the server was not running up to speed when you tried to verify that your comments had been accepted.

Hernando

Reply to
Hernando Correa

McBrue,

Your car's A/C cooling coils are icing up - they're TOO cold - (Germans like cold.) - so cold that all the humidity freezes onto them until no air can pass through the coils. By shutting off the compressor you're actually "defrosting" the coils.

Smarter guys can explain why it happens but it shouldn't.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks, Hernando.

Soon after I fairly recently switched to my ISP's new news server the phenomenon seemed to disappear but recently it started happening again sometimes.

I can't be bothered to try to determine if there is a pattern or set of circumstances that causes this...

And yet at other times my post appears at lightning speed.

Usually I don't repost. If somebody replies to my post I can see it (or at least a fragment thereof) in the reply.

If nobody replies, TS...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

THANKS !!!!! If the coils freeze up, no wonder it stops cooling! So maybe there is a thermometer or something that needs to be reinseted into the proper place?

mcbrue thankfully under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

A rectal one.