What is the new CLS?

Saw that gud ole Heavy Carl, the local stealership, is advertising that it has the new 2006 CLS in stock. Just what is that? Is it the new 2006 S Class, or is it some sort of expanded CL coupe? It is advertised as a
4 door coupe. Of course that begs the question of does it have the valet trunk lock with the emergency release button inside the trunk, but I fear we know the answer to that one also.
mcbrue in the trailer down by the river under the bridge
96 S420
The "4-door coupe" sure does look good in its TV ads. But without a valet trunk lock...
It must be like a convertible saloon, or a windowless hatchback.
--
Randall Brink
Author

Only if you want a new one
I take it you aren't thinking of dropping an OM617 into a W108.
Hi mcB
There was a thread on this earlier with people commenting on appearance. I have seen one. Looked good to me but there are strong feelings the other way, too.
It's neither E nor S; it stands on its own, I think, just like the CLK is not a C-Class coupe/cab.
DAS
"mcbrue" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Technically, it's a "sedan" version of the CL coupe (the CL is a coupe version of the S). In reality, it's an all new vehicle that is meant to attract buyers looking for a sporty Mercedes sedan or a more usable coupe. Many buyers think the E and S sedans aren't sporty enough. Others want a coupe, but don't want to pay nearly $100K for the CL and also find it to be not very sporty. The CLK is often considered too small and also not as luxurious. The CLS is meant to bridge the gaps for all of these buyers. IMHO, the biggest detractor to the CLS is the size of the back seat. It only seats two because it has a fixed center console, but it's also very short on leg and headroom. It's almost easier to get into the back seat of a CL than a CLS.
--

- RODNEY

Yes, I suspect the CLS was not designed to be "practical" - for the backseat passenger. It was likely designed more for the driver in mind.
I also believe there is good reason to for a slightly-whimsical sedan to be a financial success. Many company executives are expected to use sedans as company cars but never coupes. The CLS can satisfy the respectability of a 4-door sedan while giving the executive a more sexy and distinctive drive. These are not people who are expected to act as chauffeurs for clients in the backseats or want to look like they chauffeur people around.
There's always the new S-Klasse for people who really need backseat room so Mercedes has it covered.