what's the best bet on a used MB for about $7500?

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:36:57 -0500, greek_philosophizer

pipeline.     Emanuel
--
"Yeah, you look like the sort of person that would own a corkscrew."
Said by a neighbor borrowing a corkscrew, on my 1st day in a new apartment.
Saintor wrote:

Based on 450 SEL

Produced from September 1975 until May 1980. Internal designation is W116.

Have you already looked at my pages about the W116 ?
http://www.mbspy.com/w116.htm and http://www.mbspy.com/w116r.htm
Juergen

I must be confused. I thought the W108 was the "Classic Design".
Wasn't the W116 when rivets started replacing screws? :)
Howard
OEM 1972 280SEL 4.5 225K still a daily driver without major drivetrain or body work.
hnelson wrote:

Everything after the classic 770K http://www.bellesdantan.com/Mercedes/Pages/770K-01-0.htm are tiny toys of inferior quality and have modernish design ;-)
Juergen - 1982 W123 last MB model with chrome bumpers and steel hubcaps
Great site!

fred snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.spamnet wrote in

And for ANOTHER $7500 you can replace the oil filter.
6.9 parts are the most expensive replacement parts in the known universe.
Not true at all. Standard 116 stuff on the chassis. Struts and spheres not exotic. Hydraulic pump can be rebuilt cheap as a PS pump.
Here is an example: a 6.9 fuel injector is $25. A fuel injector for a 6.3 is $1400.
Bottom line is a 6.9 is no more expensive to maintain than any other MB of the same vintage. If you take care of things promptly, it is always cheaper than waiting.

Fred Emmerich
What are doing at 160+ km/h in DK??? Or are you heading through Germany....?
;-) DAS --