What should I pay for a 1980 300D, Unique Circumstances

and attainment of goal. (Everyone needs to have goals whose attainment requires effort, and needs to succeed in attaining at least some of his goals.) The fourth element is more difficult to define and may not be necessary for everyone. We call it autonomy and will discuss it later (paragraphs 42-44). 34. Consider the hypothetical case of a man who can have anything he wants just by wishing for it. Such a man has power, but he will develop serious psychological problems. At first he will have a lot of fun, but by and by he will become acutely bored and demoralized. Eventually he may become clinically depressed. History shows that leisured aristocracies tend to become decadent. This is not true of fighting aristocracies that have to struggle to maintain their power. But leisured, secure aristocracies that have no need to exert themselves usually become bored, hedonistic and demoralized, even though they have power. This shows that power is not enough. One must have goals toward which to exercise one's power. 35. Everyone has goals; if nothing else, to obtain the physical necessities of life: food, water and whatever clothing and shelter are made necessary by the climate.

Reply to
matthew russell

Ok, so through a series of odd events, I have found a 1980 300D for sale. I haven't discussed the vehicle at all with the owner, so I can only tell you what I know from looking at it.

It's has a manual transmission, approximately 250,000 miles on it, and it hasn't be started or driven in at least five years, possibly six. The body looks pretty good, a patch of faded paint on the driver's side door. It has some green gunk around the 300D and Diesel lettering, and the hood ornament is missing. All four tires are flat and the nuts on the rims are rusted. The wipers are in pretty poor condition. The interior looks nice, the seats don't look terribly worn.

Now... assuming that the car was in mechanically decent shape before it stopped being driven, what should I offer the guy for it?

Also, are there any typical faults that these cars tend to have? I've read about gauges that don't work, windows that don't open, and problems with the sun/moonroof. Anything else I should know about?

Thanks.

Reply to
matthew russell

Sounds like a parts car, not much over a $100.00. It could have all kinds of problem being parked that long and maybe it's been parked because of a big problem. I wouldn't buy without having the opportunity to try to start it. that could be a big job. be careful especially if you don't know much about diesels.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Well... like I said, assuming it was perfectly functional before it stopped being driven, what's the worst that could happen just by not being started?

Reply to
matthew russell

stopped being driven, what's the worst that could happen just by not being started?

Reply to
Central Florida

getting it started is one thing. STOPPING it is quite another

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Start up the car first and then make an offer... low figure.

Reply to
Tiger

Matthew, respectfully, you never stated what your vision or goal for this car was. How many miles would you like to drive it per year. How mechanical are you. How much time and money do you have available to tinker with it. One person said offer $100. I would agree. Another said

80% chance that it has something seriously wrong with it. I would agree. It probably didn't stop getting driven because the driver was bored with the car. If you want it or need it to work well, you could be in for a lot of spend. JB 1988 300E 1999 E55
Reply to
JB

I bought a 1987 suburu this way and the only thing wrong with it was a dead battery. Sometimes people just lose faith in the vehicle and write it off, just because it's sitting doesn't mean it's junk.

Then again with 250,000 miles, there are likely to be some projects ahead.

Use you own judgement.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

You hit the 20%.

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Central Florida

exactly what your dinner guests will assume! An excellent way to expose the uninitiated to this highly misunderstood yet succulent source of protein.

2 human baby rib racks 3 cups barbecue sauce or honey glaze (see index) Salt black pepper white pepper paprika

Remove the silverskin by loosening from the edges, then stripping off. Season generously, rubbing the mixture into the baby?s flesh. Place 1 quart water in a baking pan, the meat on a wire rack. Bake uncovered in 250° oven for 1½ hours. When browned, remove and glaze, return to oven and bake 20 minutes more to form a glaze. Cut ribs into individual pieces and serve with extra sauce.

Fresh Sausage

If it becomes necessary to hide the fact that you are eating human babies, this is the perfect solution. But if you are still paranoid, you can substitute pork butt.

5 lb. lean chuck roast 3 lb. prime baby butt 2 tablespoons each: salt black, white and cayenne peppers celery salt garlic powder parsley flakes brown sugar 1 teaspoon sage 2 onions 6 cloves garlic bunch green onions, chopped

Cut the children?s butts and the beef roast into pieces that will fit in the grinder. Run the meat through using a 3/16 grinding plate. Add garlic, onions and season

Reply to
Central Florida

with hot bread and butter.

Offspring Rolls

Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat (of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp). Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue, as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short by a drunk driver, or the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting...

2 cups finely chopped very young human flesh 1 cup shredded cabbage 1 cup bean sprouts 5 sprigs green onion, finely chopped 5 cloves minced garlic 4-6 ounces bamboo shoots Sherry chicken broth oil for deep frying (1 gallon) Salt pepper soy & teriyaki minced ginger, etc. 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water 1 egg beaten

Make the stuffing: Marinate the flesh in a mixture of soy and teriyaki sauces then stir fry in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove. Stir-fry the vegetables. Put the meat back into the wok and adjust the seasoning. De-glaze with sherry,

Reply to
Martin Joseph

You fabricate statistics...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

You ever hear of the eighty - twenty rule? It's universal.