what type of oil should i use in a 1985 190E?

ive been doing oil changes on this car myself.. but recently got t
thinkin what kind of oil am i suppose to be using? i have been usin 10w30 oil. the car has over 200k miles.. still running like a champ
but anyone know what type of oil im suppose to be using
-- MBENZ0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- MBENZ07's Profile: http://www.autostalk.com/m6 View this thread: http://www.autostalk.com/t39902
200K miles and runs well; why argue with success?
Change the oil and filter every 7,500 miles; use 10 - 30 until the motor begins to consume oil, then move to higher viscosity oil i.e. 20 - 50 etc.
..... trick question?
cheers, guenter

Keep using what you have been using. I would adopt 3000 to 5000 miles for regular oil.
Tiger Wrote:

i kno this.. but i just would like to know what is suppose to go i there.. because i have a sort of tappin or rattling noise from a valv or something.. and i was thinking maybe if i used 20 50 oil that i would lower that sound n make the engine run a little quiete
-- MBENZ0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- MBENZ07's Profile: http://www.autostalk.com/m6 View this thread: http://www.autostalk.com/t39902
Ahh... the famous tapping sound. Okay at this point I would do an experiment. I would change the oil to synthetic 5W40 and drive it around. First couple of hours would sounds like it is so much worse... but then afterward. it should quieten down... engine will run much smoother.
If the tapping doesn't go away, then you got a different problem... which is wear and tear of the camshaft. This is easily checked by pulling the valve cover off.
The reason for synthetic is that the oil channels to the hydraulic lifters may be clogged by regular oil coking and by running synthetic, you can clean it out somewhat but the oil flow to the lifter is much improved thereby closing up the gap that cause the tapping noise.