Wheel alignment and wobbly

Page 4 of 4
Yeah, his problem sounds to be a ball joint thats about to go too seeing as how he mentioned one of the wheels moves side to side. Wheels shouldn't move side to side at all, that's in fact how to test for bad
ball joints.
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:01:42 -0700, marlinspike wrote:

OK, now I'm confused. I was thinking that the tie-rods, which are connected to the steering box, controlled the side-to-side (i.e. steering) motion. I was also thinking that the upper and lower ball joints allowed the wheel to pivot up and down on the control arms, (vertical suspension movement) while allowing the tie-rods to move the wheel assemblies left and right. My thinking was that rocking the wheel at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions tested the tie-rods more than the ball joints and that grabbing the wheel at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions (OK, allowing for a few degrees of caster) was more definitive for ball joints.
Of course, if the wheel bearings are shot/loose the wheel will probably wiggle no matter where you grab it.
Any front end-wizards have a take on this?
Conrad

OK. OK. How did we get from wines to cars? Oh........wrong thread..............