Wheel Offset

Hi All
probably stupid question, but I don't know exactly what a Wheel Offset is all about. Most, if not all, MB wheels have a 5 bolt pattern at 112 mm. The
bolt sizes vary, the older being a couple or so mm smaller than the newer so that one has to be careful of the bolt 'seating' correctly. But what the heck is this 'offset' about. I see 'spacers' for sale when adapting different type of rims to vehicles... what do these do?
thanks for any pointers
cheers, guenter
Offset is how much distance between the center of the wheel widthwise to the mounting flange of the wheel (where wheel sits on the brake).
It all depends on the manufacturer on how far their suspension sits in relation to the body and what characteristics they want the car to perform.
Most E class are around 37mm offset (ET)... and the wider you go on the wheel... the smaller the offset... like 34... otherwise, your wheel does not sit in the wheelwell properly.

    Thanks for that Tiger, makes sense now. In particular why it always seems to come up in connection with putting on differing tire widths.
cheers, guenter
snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Guenter Scholz) wrote in wrote:

Hi Guenter, I can tell you from sad experience that you need to check the offset especially on the rear wheels. I bought a spare set of OEM wheels for my '87 300SDL only to find that the lug bolts would extend into the parking brakes when I put on a new set of tires. Apparently the fella that I bought the SDL from had changed both wheels and lug bolts. Too long a lug bolt for standard 25mm offset tends to destroy parking brakes quickly if the operator has a brain fart.
--
Cheers,
Kurt

There are different length lug bolts for steel and alloy wheels.
Worse there are different types of alloy lug bolts.
snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote in wrote:

And as an aside to the wheels comment, there is also a slight difference in the diameter of the wheel center holes between some alloy and steel wheels. So the covers/caps/whatever-you-call-the-things may not fit when you switch from one type of "stock" wheel to another.
--
Cheers,
Kurt

This might help a bit:
    http://articles.mbz.org/wheel/offsets /
Richard, perfect... many thanks for that. I actually go to that website quite often but apperently I have not perused it thoroughly enough yet.
cheers, guenter