When did Merces started with the retractable top ? please

When did Mercedes started with the retractable top ? please I want to buy a used one but I love the show of shutting the roof. Vlad

Reply to
Vlad

You mean the metal one? If so, previous generation of SLK.

If soft-top, aeons ago, like everyone else.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I think that the first SLK model sold in the United States was a 1997 model. I don't know if it might have been introduced earlier or later in other countries.

Reply to
John Cisarik

Vlad sayeth:

The first retractable softtop would be the R129 (500SL, 300SL) that debuted in 1989. The first hardtop was the SLK.

Reply to
ObiWan Kenobi

Reply to
Vlad

You won't find an R230 (latest SL model) without retractable roof. I'ts standard. SLR = Sport, Lightweight, Race.

regards, gaise

Reply to
Gaise

As I said earlier, my recollection is that the first SLK, the Mercedes with a retractable hard top, was introduced in the United States in 1997. I think that the first retractable hard top SL model appeared in 2004.

Reply to
John Cisarik

"Gaise" haute in die Tasten:

There are three cars with retractable metal roof made by mercedes.

  1. Mercedes SLK 1st generation (1996-2004)
  2. Mercedes SLK 2nd generation (2004-?)
  3. The actual Mercedes SL (2002-?)

The Mercedes SLR is a totally different car, its full name is Mercedes McLaren SLR, and it has a fixed roof. They once built a prototype with conventional convertible roof, but it did not make it into reality.

The retractable roofs of the new generation cars work a little bit different to the roof used with the first SLK: The new roof mechanism lets the rear window flip to fit better into the trunk and leave more space for luggage. The main disadvantage of the roof used in the first SLK is, that you have only some 110 litres of trunk space left, when the roof is folded down.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper