When did Merces started with the retractable top ? please

When did Mercedes started with the retractable top ? please I want to buy a used one but I love the show of shutting the roof. Vlad

You mean the metal one? If so, previous generation of SLK.
If soft-top, aeons ago, like everyone else.
DAS

I think that the first SLK model sold in the United States was a 1997 model. I don't know if it might have been introduced earlier or later in other countries.

The first retractable softtop would be the R129 (500SL, 300SL) that debuted in 1989. The first hardtop was the SLK.
Thanks for the help I am thinking of purchasing a SL500R 2002 or SL500R 2003 and I am interested on the retractable metal hard top, let me rephrase my question., What are the chances of any of the mentioned models, to have the refereed top? What is the difference between the SL500 and the SLR500 ? Does the R stands for retractable ? Thanks again Vlad

You won't find an R230 (latest SL model) without retractable roof. I'ts standard. SLR = Sport, Lightweight, Race.
regards, gaise

There are three cars with retractable metal roof made by mercedes. 1. Mercedes SLK 1st generation (1996-2004) 2. Mercedes SLK 2nd generation (2004-?) 3. The actual Mercedes SL (2002-?)
The Mercedes SLR is a totally different car, its full name is Mercedes McLaren SLR, and it has a fixed roof. They once built a prototype with conventional convertible roof, but it did not make it into reality.
The retractable roofs of the new generation cars work a little bit different to the roof used with the first SLK: The new roof mechanism lets the rear window flip to fit better into the trunk and leave more space for luggage. The main disadvantage of the roof used in the first SLK is, that you have only some 110 litres of trunk space left, when the roof is folded down.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
sayeth:

As I said earlier, my recollection is that the first SLK, the Mercedes with a retractable hard top, was introduced in the United States in 1997. I think that the first retractable hard top SL model appeared in 2004.